AOSB Fitness: Fail MSFT = ticket home?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by xdamr, Mar 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've heard some contradictory information re. the physical tests on Day 1 - I wonder if anyone can clarify things for me?

MSFT to level 10.2, 44 press-ups, and 50 sit-ups - these are the standards that we know and love. I've been led to believe that of the three, the MSFT is an absolute pass/fail. Reach 10.2 and you stay: get sub-10.2 and it's a bus ride home. So far as the sit-ups and press-ups go, anything below the standard is a black mark against you, though not necessarily fatal.

Is this correct, that there is no leeway for sub-standard MSFT performance, or have I misunderstood the situation?

2. I think it depends really on the mood of the DS at the time. On my Main Board, a fair few dropped out of the bleep test, but only one was sent home. Having said that, don't plan to fail. It won't help first impressions to your group leader.
  3. On my AOSB all the guys who failed the MSFT went home that day. There was a girl in my group who never passed and managed to stay.

Just be ready for it is my advice. You know whats coming, same as briefing....
  4. we should never be thinking of failing MSFT...basics
  5. [double post]
  6. It's not so much a question of thinking of failing the MSFT, but rather wondering if failing the MSFT is treated far more harshly than the other two elements of the phys test?
  7. There's no way of knowing until you fail whether it's a ticket home or not. But the standards are laid out clearly in advance, download MSFT from the internet and pop it into your ipod and give it a go. How long till AOSB for you? Also, remember you need to do all the tests in a row back to back, so factor that in to your training, also get the army technique sorted, they are very particular about it and won't count wrong technique, so it will result in wasted effort and time if you don't.
    On a side note, take up boxing. Absolutely brilliant all round training, strength and stamina, I did recently and my round the park runs got much much faster. And I added about three miles to them in just over a fortnight, with 5 hours boxing a week. Also it's something to pull out of the bag in the interviews.
    Is nice. Great success.
  8. Seriously what is so hard to understand!?!? Simply turn up, do required amount of press ups, sit ups and bleep test requirements. Jobs a good 'un.
  9. FFS

Leeway? This isn't Uni or school where deadlines or quality are always negotiable. The Army works to absolutes, yes means yes, 09:05 means 09:05 and 10.3 means 10.3, not 10.29. You know what's required, you've been told clearly. Train to do it in every aspect, do it easily and with style at Westbury, and allow yourself a sardonic jeer at those dreamers too thick to understand.

You want to lead British soldiers, the very best in the world, in battle, don't you. And you want leeway, on the very lowest level of fitness?

Yes, I'm a little irritable. The question had that effect.

Old Rat
  10. If you can't pass a simple physical test like that,then you would not do well at RMAS.As another poster says ''if you want to command British soldiers,fitness will be one of the key qualities that you must have''
  11. Thanks all for the replies. I've perhaps been misunderstood. I have no problem with getting to 10.2; my 2.4km is 9:45 - well within spec, even if I'm not quite yet at Übermensch standard! 10.2 is an elementary level of fitness and I have no issue with it.

I was only wondering, in general terms, whether it is correct (as I have heard) that the beep test, unlike the strength tests, is an automatic 'fail and you're out', or if a marginal failure would see you continue with the board - almost certainly, however, with negative marks for sub-standard fitness.

I was motivated to ask the question out of an interest in the mechanics of the assessment process, not because I feel inclined to turn in a below par performance. That's all there is to it...really!
  12. The impression I got was that fitness can always be worked on. On my board last week, several fell short of level 10.2 but only 3 went sent home. The rumor mill told of those sent home at least two had been given delays from briefing on fitness grounds, and so failing the MSFT showed basic lack of commitment.
    The assessors seemed less concerned with the strength tests. Lots of people fell short due to poor technique, yet still passed. Obviously the thing to do is get yourself fitter than the minimum standard, thus taking pressure off (you'll have enough on your mind without worrying about this). Breezing through the physical requirements is the perfect way to set yourself up for a good week.
  13. On my board, several people fell below the 10.2 standard however none were sent home. One bloke did rather poor on the MSFT and he got taken to the side at the end of it and was told that it was unacceptable and he was very close to catching the bus home, but they allowed him to continue the rest of the board.

At briefing, the fitness is more slack i believe because i knew of many people who failed the MSFT there and they just ended up with a cat 2 - 3month for fitness
  14. I second that, boxing all the way! It might also instil some extra grit and confidence in you and is a great stress relief. I cannot recommend it enough. Just make sure you don't do too much heavy sparring before your MB, I don't know how they would react to you showing up at Leighton house with a panda face.
  15. Funnily enough where I am working currently I fought the day before my interview. I came in with a black eye (first one ever typically) and not a word was said.
    I think the MD took it to either be a birth mark or a sign of character.