AOSB Briefing- The Group Discussion

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by marsh9991, Dec 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Guys and Girls,

I have my AOSB briefing on Feb 6th and 7th. The only issue I have with my briefing is the group discussion on current affairs. Admittedly, my current affairs knowledge is not that good so Im looking into researching things in the next month. My issue is that Im unsure on what exactly I should be researching and into how much detail and broadness. So has anyone been on a Briefing recently who could tell me what they were asked to discuss? Or can any of the more wise people about offer any sort of general advice????

My first post on this website so be nice guys/girls. Any advice is appreciated.
    Marsh9991

2. Start reading newspapers. Good ones mind, not some shite red tops or the daily mail. Don't really know what sort of stuff they'll ask you about current affairs tbh, probably some political stuff and maybe foreign happenings?

3. Find 3 topics in homeland/UK news. Ensure they are sensible ie not Jordan's latest boob job. find 3 topics in world news. Same caveat. Be able to discourse at length, follow them for several weeks. However if one disappears from the news the week before it may pay to have back up topics up the sleeve.

Don't try and bluff on a subject - say you don't know or didn't read about that. For brownie points, ensure you can do second order analysis. Ie if the argies are getting ructious about the falklands the day you go, don't just bring this up - understand the root causes of the subject.

This may mean further research. Academics will hate me, but wikipedia can give you a good base level of knowledge and quickly.

Read the Telegraph or the Times, possibly the Grauniad although this and the indy will possibly mark you out as a left intellectual, which may wind up the gruftier senior officers you encounter at Westbury.

Don't stomp over other peoples points they are making, even if they are talking tosh. You may say anything controversial you please, but be prepared to back it up with well jsutified evidence. If someone keeps getting talked over, try and bring them in: 'What do you think red 57?'

4. Read the newspapers mentioned above - Times / Telegraph / Guardian. Chop and change, each has their own political bias. Understand these, and note when it surfaces. Read a tabloid occasionally; I leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out why you should. Don't just read the headlines - read every story. Read the letters. Read the comment and editorial sections.

Also, get yourself a periodical weekly. Recommended are The Economist or The Week. The Economist has more in-depth analysis, along with a slightly conservative bias. The Week is very good for a global news summary (it generally has slightly more of this than the Economist, even though that itself is very good).

The group leader will start you off with a few topics to discuss, and then solicit suggestions from everybody. Have two topics in mind you know about - if yours is chosen you have to start the debate. Why two? What if your idea has already been suggested?

We discussed the following, along with two more I can't remember: 'Should bankers pay for the economic crisis?', 'Linda Norgrove and lethal force in hostage rescue', 'The state of first-job training for UK graduate medica'.

5. I'm not sure how reading all this literature will help you to develop your own thoughts on A) Abortion B) are Summer holidays too long? C) Legalisation of weed.

These are the topics we discussed. Just read The Week and the Times mate

6. It will help because all these have been discussed in some detail in the press recently (B and C more so than A). Also, we were asked topical things, and everything that was raised by the group was topical, rather than generic. Depends on your group, and your group leader, of course...

7. Hi Guys,

I also am a new member and I'm still trying to find my way round this site.

I am hoping to Join the Royal Signals as an officer and I have an AOSB in February and a familiarisation visit at Bland ford in January. I'm filling out the CV which as far as I'm aware will be most of the basis for the interviews. I'm now stuck on the last question which is as follows:

Please outline briefly your major achievements to date, any difficulties overcome, any lessons learnt and any emotions felt.

I'm probably being really stupid but can anyone clarify this for me?

Thank you in advance.

8. Joker, welcome, but no need to repeat yourself! It's generally considered bad form to post a completely unrelated (except by virtue of being related to AOSB Briefing) question in a thread about something else.

9. Sincerest apologies.

I'm new to this website. I have only been a member since today.

I think I have managed to post my own thread now.

Again apologies I didn't mean to be rude I was just looking for an answer to my question.

10. Don't worry about the current affairs thing. Know the basics of what is going on around you, at my AOSB we were not asked anything to do with current affairs and our discussion topics were about gangs, drugs, TV etc. You don't need to go to the lengths of reading a broadsheet every day as well as the economist and the week. IMHO I felt at Westbury they were more looking at how you interacted with others and during the discussions it was a case of having a point, being able to back it up with something other than 'because that's what I think' and being willing to take on board others opinions. Same goes for the application form - don't overthink it!

11. This may not apply to main board, where there is a current affairs test. I haven't done MB yet though, so I don't know what kind of things this is likely to contain.

12. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

That's right: the army doesn't have enough ignorant chancers in the officer corps.

13. Same gig at Main Board - the current affairs test is the sorts of things you would pick up by just watching TV news every now and then - the level of detail required is pretty low. Just trying to say do not stress yourself about memorising the UK's cabinet, or the president of every country in the world.

14. Thank you all very much for your replies! You have all put my mind at rest atleast. I still think it something I will keep upto date with but Im not going to worry myself about it. Thank you all very much.

marsh9991

15. On My briefing a couple of months back a couple of the topics were:

Was it right to use a grenade in the rescue of Linda Norgrove by a U.S Navy Seal? And the banking Crisis.

Both topics I found quite tricky to answer, even though I'd been hitting the Above mentioned newspapers quite hard.
    My advice would be try and get your input in to the conversation quite early on and make an impression with your knowledge. Ie if you don't know much about the subject but you know a little tell it to the other chaps. I got stuck as my little knowledge on the subject was used up by someone else quite quickly. Ultimately it left me struggling with what to say other than my opinions!!