Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AOSB Briefing MAP test

I currently have my Briefing booked for the 9th Nov and feel fairly confident in all aspects bar the MAP test. I currently have the UKCAT 1250 test book which I'm going through but is there any other material or websites which might be beneficial? To anyone which has gone through briefing recently what aspects did you particularly work and focus on?

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,

A

Kalu19

Swinger
I currently have my Briefing booked for the 9th Nov and feel fairly confident in all aspects bar the MAP test. I currently have the UKCAT 1250 test book which I'm going through but is there any other material or websites which might be beneficial? To anyone which has gone through briefing recently what aspects did you particularly work and focus on?

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,

A
Hi Madbob123,

I passed Main Board a couple of weeks ago, and would suggest working on percentages, fractions, ratios and decimals. BBC Bitesize is a good tool to learn how to convert all of these into each other.

For example: '6/8 83%. 0.86 17/23. - convert these to percentages and order from smallest to largest.'

Kind regards

K

manarkia

Swinger
My B was in mid-June.

To add to Kalu19's answer - the UCAT website has practice tests - they are harder than the actual AOSB MAP so doing these would hold you in good stead. Also see TeamFocus (Aston uni has a login online for this) and other resources online - many. All that is required is a solid GCSE maths & english foundation - the trick is answering the questions fast as there is not much time - so don't dwell on those you cannot figure out - and guess if time is running out - there is no negative marking. W/abstract there is the SCANS and a few other methods - just practice - but dw this part is a hit and miss.

Don't worry too much about MAP though - its just one part of B.

Overall be confident, look dependable and have fun.

Hi Madbob123,

I passed Main Board a couple of weeks ago, and would suggest working on percentages, fractions, ratios and decimals. BBC Bitesize is a good tool to learn how to convert all of these into each other.

For example: '6/8 83%. 0.86 17/23. - convert these to percentages and order from smallest to largest.'

Kind regards

K
Thanks K,

Much appreciate the advice. I'll definitely have a look through BBC Bitesize and go through the material which they offer. Should hopefully brush off a few cobwebs!

Cheers,

A

My B was in mid-June.

To add to Kalu19's answer - the UCAT website has practice tests - they are harder than the actual AOSB MAP so doing these would hold you in good stead. Also see TeamFocus (Aston uni has a login online for this) and other resources online - many. All that is required is a solid GCSE maths & english foundation - the trick is answering the questions fast as there is not much time - so don't dwell on those you cannot figure out - and guess if time is running out - there is no negative marking. W/abstract there is the SCANS and a few other methods - just practice - but dw this part is a hit and miss.

That's fantastic advice mate. My maths has always been pretty average so I know its the area which I need to spend a little more time working on. I'll try those sites out and see how I get on.

One last question, were you allowed a slip of paper for workings whilst doing the MAP test and if so did you use it all or due to the time constraints was it a case of working everything out mentally?

Cheers,

A

Kalu19

Swinger
That's fantastic advice mate. My maths has always been pretty average so I know its the area which I need to spend a little more time working on. I'll try those sites out and see how I get on.

One last question, were you allowed a slip of paper for workings whilst doing the MAP test and if so did you use it all or due to the time constraints was it a case of working everything out mentally?

Cheers,

A
You get given paper for workings, and this isn't marked. I used the paper for the harder questions, as some of the questions are more complex than mental arithmetic.

AOSB Briefing

Can any one add any of their dairy of the AOSB 24 Brief for candidates who finished in October or First Week of November, i got my one coming up in January.

Any latest best recommendation for practice, any new exercises?

Cheers

Just had my Briefing over the weekend just gone by and passed with a Cat 1 whilst under the amended Covid restrictions.

The only sections of briefing which you can prepare for are the fitness tests/MAP tests/Group discussion/2min introduction.
The rest of the day is just spent getting briefed on how to perform the planex, leadership tasks, obstacle course under the covid guidelines (You won't actually do any these whilst your at Briefing so don't stress about these as you'll be taught the new methods)

In terms of prep I did, I focussed heavily on the MAP test and getting my head into a UKCAT 1250 book and also practicing fractions, decimals, percentages, area, percentages, SDT and general word problems incorporating all of these areas. The Verbal and Abstract reasoning parts of the test were for me personally an absolute breeze and found them a lot easier in comparison to the UKCAT 1250. The section which I felt like I struggled on was the maths sections due to having to do it right at the end of the day and not feeling quite as sharp.

For the discussion make sure you are consuming the news everyday. Going into briefing I listened to a few podcasts like the Global news podcast/Best of Today/Analysis/The Real Story pretty much everyday. I also recommend watching Question Time on a Thurs night and also Newsnight which is on most evenings and BBC news at 10 as well. Generally my advice for the discussion is to just get stuck in, relax and have some fun. The issues were fairly easy to discuss but just be aware of what's happening in the world (US election/Conflict in nagorno karabakh/Brexit/Covid/etc). Your also on a time limit so make sure you get your points in early. You might be asked to introduce a topic to discuss so make sure you have something relevant which is good to debate. For the 2min introduction, just be yourself. doesn't have to be a shakespearean monologue and just include interesting of unusual things which you have done throughout your life.

Lastly the Fitness stuff is pretty easy and no-one in my group failed a single thing. Just make sure you can run a bleep test and if not practice at home prior.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions just ping me a message.

A

My B was in mid-June.

Thank you for the advice. I have purchased the 1250 UKCAT book, and what I have noticed is that sometimes the calculations required seem to be too difficult to complete without a calculator (Some requiring the use of PI and long decimal division). Do you recommend carrying on trying to complete the practice questions without a calculator? Or shall I use a calculator, and practice doing other calculations such as long division seperately?

manarkia

Swinger
Thank you for the advice. I have purchased the 1250 UKCAT book, and what I have noticed is that sometimes the calculations required seem to be too difficult to complete without a calculator (Some requiring the use of PI and long decimal division). Do you recommend carrying on trying to complete the practice questions without a calculator? Or shall I use a calculator, and practice doing other calculations such as long division seperately?
You didn't really have to purchase it - the online ones were useful enough.

Do both - calc/non-calc - your objective is to improve speed and accuracy of calculations. But remember, these questions are more difficult so don't stress before if you fail a few practice UCAT's.

The makers of the Army MAP's is TeamFocus - that is the level of difficulty you will face in the actual tests.

You didn't really have to purchase it - the online ones were useful enough.

Do both - calc/non-calc - your objective is to improve speed and accuracy of calculations. But remember, these questions are more difficult so don't stress before if you fail a few practice UCAT's.

The makers of the Army MAP's is TeamFocus - that is the level of difficulty you will face in the actual tests.
Any Online resources you can recommend?

BY the way can any one who recently attended the Brief 24 Hour AOSB can map out the diary for that briefing day? What is the Schedule like, what happens between 6am to 9am or 6-12pm etc etc..

1. Is there any PT involved on the day?

Any person who can detail the schedule will be more welcome as it may put lot of potential candidates at ease.

Thanks

manarkia

Swinger
Any Online resources you can recommend?

Lazy man.

Great list of resources above. Do remember though that UKCAT tests allow the use of a calculator which you obviously aren’t allowed to use for the MAP tests. So using that book to practice isn’t ideal as you will find a number of the questions too difficult to complete by hand. You won’t really be developing the numerical skills you need for MAP.

The level of questions in the MAP really aren’t very difficult. Relatively basic (GCSE) maths knowledge is all that is required. Get your head into BBC Bitesize and concentrate on areas you find yourself struggling on.

I attended briefing and got a CAT 1 last month. I have my main board in Feb.

Great list of resources above. Do remember though that UKCAT tests allow the use of a calculator which you obviously aren’t allowed to use for the MAP tests. So using that book to practice isn’t ideal as you will find a number of the questions too difficult to complete by hand. You won’t really be developing the numerical skills you need for MAP.

The level of questions in the MAP really aren’t very difficult. Relatively basic (GCSE) maths knowledge is all that is required. Get your head into BBC Bitesize and concentrate on areas you find yourself struggling on.

I attended briefing and got a CAT 1 last month. I have my main board in Feb.
I done my reserve soldier entry test on MAY 2019, its sounds bit similar i am assuming based on what has been posted here... One final question, is there any physical test during the 24hr brief i am 30 seconds behind the running speed then on my alpha and bravo test.. and probably need couple more weeks run? So question is again is the physical test during the 24hr brief?

Kalu19

Swinger
I done my reserve soldier entry test on MAY 2019, its sounds bit similar i am assuming based on what has been posted here... One final question, is there any physical test during the 24hr brief i am 30 seconds behind the running speed then on my alpha and bravo test.. and probably need couple more weeks run? So question is again is the physical test during the 24hr brief?
Yes you do the bleep test, mid thigh pull, medicine ball throw and the obstacle course. It's literally all on the army website if you Google it.

Yes you do the bleep test, mid thigh pull, medicine ball throw and the obstacle course. It's literally all on the army website if you Google it.

BRIEFING​

Your first visit to Westbury is the 24 hour briefing. Here you'll learn how to prepare yourself for your next visit, as well as being assessed through physical and practical exercises.
The tests are designed to help you, and help us to understand what you need to work on before you reach the Main Board.
This video will give you a taster of what it's like to attend the briefing.

Thats all it say on the website, i just wanted to know any of the latest of the physic test that the recent candidates endured during the 24 Hour Brief?

Kalu19

Swinger

BRIEFING​

Your first visit to Westbury is the 24 hour briefing. Here you'll learn how to prepare yourself for your next visit, as well as being assessed through physical and practical exercises.
The tests are designed to help you, and help us to understand what you need to work on before you reach the Main Board.
This video will give you a taster of what it's like to attend the briefing.

Thats all it say on the website, i just wanted to know any of the latest of the physic test that the recent candidates endured during the 24 Hour Brief?
Then watch the video underneath it. It tells you that the Multi Stage Fitness test is conducted at briefing and main board.