Aortic Aneurysm.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by brummieboy1, Jan 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've had one of these for 3 years now, but when I went for my 6 monthly scan last week, I was told that it now measured 6.4 x 4.6, which I assume is in centimetres. Any how. This morning I had a phone call from the secretary of the cardiac bloke at our local hospital, saying he wants to see me this Thursday.

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing, and any advice to give?

2. My old man had one of these a few years ago. By the time they found it it was at the dangerous stage and they wipped him straight in to get it done. I seem to remember there were two options - either a keyhole repair or the full open monty. My old fella had the full version done in spite of his advanced years - the surgeon recommended that it offered a better long-term option, I seem to remember that the keyhole jobby sometimes needs to be repaired again, whereas the open repair is fixed for good.

3. I'm no expert but in our neck of the woods, an AAA larger than 5.5cm would give cause for concern. Has it increased in size rapidly since your last scan 6 months ago?

4. Oh shite. That's me buggered then, I've got a BFO scar up me abdomen from me cancer op 3 years ago (when they first found the aneurysm) Don't know why they didn't repair it at the same time they took me innards.

5. Yes, its gone from 4.2 to 6.4.

6. I suspect they'll want to get amongst it then, as it's more likely to rupture if it's growing rapidly. Depending on its size and location they MAY be able to do a stent procedure through your femoral artery under x-ray guidance. Good luck on thursday!

7. Expect imminent surgery. The recovery rates are excellent for this operation. If left unrepaired, death could be swift and at any moment.

8. Cheers. aaaaaaaaaa

9. I have absolutely no idea what any of the posts above are referring to after clicking the link by mistake.Sounds serious though so bloody good luck come Thursday.

10. on the bright side....... I was actually trying NOT to terrify the poor bloke :D

Don't exert yourself
    Eat healthily
    If you smoke STOP immediately
    Avoid putting undue pressure on your abdomen...so no sex with fat birds unless you're on top
    And obviously, if you get acute pain in your chest or abdomen, fainting or numbness in your extremities, dial 999 and inform them of your history and that you have a rapidly expanding AAA

11. My old man was whipped in a few years with one of these and was whipped into theatre straight away and had the full monty job performed on him and job was jobbed within a couple of hours.

Good luck to you