• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Anzac Day

Today's ANZAC Day, folks. Let's honour the Diggers and Kiwis and not forget all those who were also at Gallipoli. We've just had the first barbie of the season, and will be playing Twos-Up later.

Everyone in my office knows what ANZAC day is ever since I brought in some ANZAC biscuits made by Mrs Jim. B@stards ate the lot :D

Have a good one, wherever you are!

It was also Galliopli Day for The Royal Hampshire Regiment, now scrapped as a regiment and now a bit of the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment's recruiting area.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh yes, that'd be why we were all woken by skirling pipes at 0430 this morning, then?

Good Dawn Service by the Padre, and they're all good blokes, so good on them!

Happy ANZAC day, all the Diggers and Kiwis out there (and around here) :)

Inf/MP said:
It was also Galliopli Day for The Royal Hampshire Regiment, now scrapped as a regiment and now a bit of the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment's recruiting area.
The Princess of Wales Regiment are off to Iraq today. God speed boys.

I spent 4 months in NZ in '79 (Ex Long Look) - I was astonished by the strength of the Returned Services Assn (bit like the BL). Every night at 9 pm, the lights in the bar went down, everbody faced the memorial on the wall and someone recited the words: "They shall grow not old...."

I was always slightly embarassed that we didn't have that degree of dedication at home.

Happy ANZAC day to you all.

smallheathen said:
I was astonished by the strength of the Returned Services Assn (bit like the BL). Every night at 9 pm, the lights in the bar went down, everbody faced the memorial on the wall and someone recited the words: "They shall grow not old...."

quote]

I was fortunate enough to be in one of the Sydney suburbs on ANZAC Day last year. What a day! Dawn Service and parade, lashings of rum & milk, off to the SLSC until the RSA opened, then onwards, upwards and downwards!! The Returned Services Assoc building was extraordinary, three floors, at least three (massive) bars, a bookie's, Las Vegas-style room full of one-armed bandits, restaurant. Once people were properly fuelled up - and the place was packed - it was off to the Two's-Up pit. Think our syndicate broke even on the day, but not sure - booze-induced memory loss.

The Aussies do ANZAC day very well, this is more their rememberance day than 11/11. Its a great day if you're in Oz and especially if you can get chatting to the old diggers down the RSL club later on, feed them beer and then the stories start to come out. Missing it this year but will be back there in a few weeks so looking forward to next years.

Trackpen, The RSA in NZ was so influential that they persuaded the RNZ Sigs to provide comms between golf courses for their annual golf tournament. Being visiting poms, 2 of us were included and put up in a motel at their expense. Happy times!

I can never hear the song "The Band Played Watlzing Matilda" without going dewey-eyed.

Was in Perth WA this morning and it was a big parade with lots of ex-Brit servicemen marching as well. [50,000 attended last year so even with the rain I suspect this one was even bigger]. The RSL do a brilliant job of organising things. Had to catch a plane to Brisbane lunchtime so missed out on the PU afterwards :cry: They're proud to be Aussies and proud of their ex and serving servicemen. Good on them.

ugly

LE
Kiwi boss and an Aussie contracts manager trying to big up anzac day yesterday till I pointed out that they landed at the wrong beach, their most famous VC was RN at the time (Freyberg) and that at the time my Gt Granddad (CEF) was sat at the bottom of Vimy ridge wounded waiting for the ANZAC to finish their warm weather ex and come to france!

ugly wrote:

"...their most famous VC was RN at the time (Freyberg)..." their most famous VC of all time being Charles Upham, who managed to win the award twice during WW2, one of only 3 men ever to do so. Don't let facts get in the way of a good sneer.

ugly

LE
Dont forget that Freyberg had a DSO with 3 bars! No sneer just pointing out to them that Anzac wasnt just about them. We all had relatives, mine Canadian served like Freyberg in Both wars despite like Freyberg being wounded severely.

Quite - although we tend to concentrate on the Western Front and forget that a lot of British troops died at Galipoli too. We might do well to take a leaf out of how the Australians and New Zealanders remember it though.

ugly

LE
clownbasher said:
Quite - although we tend to concentrate on the Western Front and forget that a lot of British troops died at Galipoli too. We might do well to take a leaf out of how the Australians and New Zealanders remember it though.
Hear hear
All gave some, some gave all!

Latest Threads