ANZAC day

Discussion in 'Australia' started by sandy_boots, Apr 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's ANZAC day today.

I will be raising a glass of Amber Nectar to those that fell for their countries and ours and to salute those serving now, especially those currently on ops.

[​IMG]

2. Advance Australia Fair! Drink in memory of fallen comrades! :salut:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. And it has come around again, today is ANZAC Day, and I share the sentiments of sandy_boots who posted a message this time last year, and for those who are old enough to remember the Korean War, this is the 60th Anniversary of that war, and yesterday, 24th April, was Kapyong Day when the 3rd Battaion Royal Australian Regiment "Old Faithful" was blooded in Korea.

4. Yep, I concur to all the above. Our one (1) true day of the year that appears to be bringing Australians together as a nation. I do remember the '70's & '80's where it seemed ANZAC Day was not relevant and was slowly dying with no interest at all being shown. Being a Soldier during those years (late '70s onwards) was a bit of a pain especially on ANZAC Day as you'd cop a fair bit of sledging from the civvie w*nkers! But I love my profession.

Raise a glass to a Digger.

5. Strange that beagleboy should mention about what appeared to be a lack of interest in ANZAC Day, because this morning I went to my 60th Dawn Service. I started in 1950 going with my father, then when I joined the Army we had a dawn service on ANZAC Day in every base I was ever posted, then when I left the Army I used to take my Father in law, who served in WW2, then when my own grandchildren came along, i took them, so this morning I was at the Dawn Service, as usual, with my wife and daughter and 3 grandchildren, and our other kids with their children, who live in the bush, attended the Dawn Service in the small country towns where they live.
    I have not noticed a lack of interest, every year at the Dawn Service in particular, the crowds seem to be bigger, and they also start arriving earlier before the service starts, but maybe that is just the place where I live, the Gold Coast Queensland, and we are different, we are Queenslanders.

6. Agreed Benjamin. I attended the Dawn Service and march past in Mandurah WA today. Excellent turnout, and also a number of immigrants like myself attended.

Lest we Forget.

7. A year on and I'll be doing the same. I joined the RSL in February, Oakleigh/Carnegie branch. I regret not being there to share this day with them.

8. They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
    Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
    They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
    They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them.

lest we forget.

9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgC9bOB1l2g

When the news of the tragic first landings at Gallipoli got to Australia, 30,000 more Aussies immediately volunteered.

I find politicians rather like schoolchildren -

Immature children will forget all their own true friends and go off with new ones because they see more in it for them at the time!

My grandfather, serving in the 2nd Afghan War and WW1 respected few men. He respected the ANZACS.

Our governments have deserted their old trusted and tested friends to pose around their fancy new French, German and Italian friends, and soon it will be the Turks.

Just found something pleasing: there are a number of UK evants:
    http://www.nzembassy.com/united-kingdom/new-zealanders-overseas/living-in-the-united-kingdom/anzac-day-events/anzac-day-servi

10. It is well to remember the Commonwealth came to our aid, when we had no friends in the world, America stood at the sidelines, the Australians, Kiwis, Canadians, other Colonies too many to name, stepped up and fought in a land far away from their home territory, all gave some, some gave all.

For this reason I always try to mark ANZAC Day in my own way, I was lucky to go to both Australia and New Zealand to attend their services, both are well attended, we should give more prominence in the UK for their sacrifices in the cause of freedom.

11. Here in France the annual ANZAC Day commemoration took place at dawn at Villers-Bretonneux, which coincidentally was liberated by ANZAC troops on 25 Apr 1918.

Australian National Memorial

[​IMG]

12. And for allthose years I went to the Dawn Service with my
    Dad, then while I was a serving soldier, then with my Father in Law, I found that the Dawn Service followed a fairly standard format, a gathering in silence, an address by somebody about the sacrifice made at Gallipoli and the wars since then by Australian and NZ soldiers then a short prayer by the Chaplain, then the Last Post and as it is being played the flag is lowered to half mast, followed by a one Minute Silence, then Reveille, then a laying of wreaths. But times change, my local RSL that organises the Dawn Service seem to muck it up every year, I wrote a letter to them last year asking why they dont stick to the standard format, their reply was that they can conduct the service in any format they wish, and that is probably so true, but this year they raised the flag to the top of the mast at the end of the service, they had forgotten to play reveille, they laid wreaths before the service started, the prayer by the Chaplain was even longer than the address and made no mention of the sacrifice by solders, just an exhortation to be fair and loving with refugees and asylum seekers, and I was completely at odds as to why the chaplain was there, and when I asked the RSL Secretary why no Reveille and why not the standard format for the service, he told me they do it there way, and they decide. He wore two medals on his chest, the Anniversary of National Service Medal and the Australian Defence Medal for his service in the national service. Maybe it is time more ex regulars joined the RSL and put some discipline into the organisation, but it has gained a reputation over the years as an organisation that appears to be more interested in having big bullding with lots of poker machines. That is why we have so many other ex service organisations in this country, at least two Vietnam veterans association, each state having its own branch and each doing its own thing, Borneo and Malaya veterans, Korea and South East Asian forces, Peacekeepers Veterans, etc etc etc. if they could all get together it may be that they could make a difference on behalf of veterans, but guess the govt prefers they all stay separate, thus keeping veterans from having a united voice that would have some lobbying power. Didnt meant to go on like this when I started this post, but lack of benefits for some veterans makes me angry.

13. You mean like this?

NOW that another Anzac Day has passed, would the politicians who praised the deeds of our returned servicemen and women and basked in the glow now rectify the inequality in regard to the indexation treatment of service pensions?

Defence service pensions, which are indexed to the CPI, are falling rapidly behind pensions for politicians and aged pensioners, which are indexed to the male average weekly earnings.

Aged and political pensions from 1998 to 2008 rose by 110 per cent and 131 per cent respectively while service pensions increased by only 63 per cent.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/after-the-hoopla-now-raise-veterans-pension-level/story-fn558imw-1225858535133

14. ANZAC & Gallipoli is really fantastic city everyone should visit once I want to say everybody that if they want to go anywhere on a tour they should use this company. By the beginning they were so professional and did our visit excellent Gallipoli Tours & Troy Tour, Private, Daily, Sightseeing, Anzac What a beautiful tour!!! – Our guide certainly knows his business, in 2 days we saw more than we expected. If you are planning to feel some history you should come to Gallipoli. It was our first tours to abroad and we had wonderful tour in Gallipoli, thanks