ANZAC Day

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
In roughly eight hours, it will be dawn in Canberra. Servicemen and women, along with veterans, will receive the order to "Stand To" and a day of rememberance and celebration will begin with a service followed by gunfire.

I've always thought that this is a very poignant way of remembering the dead.

The dawn stand-to will be held at thousands of memorial parks in suburban centres and tiny country towns. Every year, we see more young people coming, on their own initiative. My daughter will be here this year, to remember her grandfathers, one RAAF (New Guinea), one The Buffs.

Lest we forget.

I'll be attending the Anzac Day Parade in Kanchanaburi, Thailand. The Australian government organises a ceremony here to remember the POW's who built the Death Railway. It saddens me that our givernment don't do anything similar considering we lost a lot more men here than the Aussies did.

The ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day in Australia is the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War. Australians and other nations participated in WWII come together on ANZAC Day in Kanchanaburi and spend time remembering the sacrifices of those who died in building the Death Railway.

ANZAC Day 2009 in Thailand will be commemorated by conducting a Dawn Service at Hell-Fire Pass and a Memorial Service at Kanchanaburi Allied War Cemetery (Don-Rak). Normal timings for these events are:

a. Dawn Service at Hellfire Pass

time: Memorial Service commences at 05:30 and lasts approx 30 - 35 minutes
venue: Konyu Cutting, below the Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum
details: Walk into site takes approx 20 min via steps and along the old railway line. Please note the track is rocky and uneven in parts.

b. Gunfire Breakfast at Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum

time: Upon completion of Dawn Service.
venue: In the vicinity of the Hell-Fire Pass Memorial Museum car-park area.
details: Tea and coffee with traditional shot of Bundaberg Rum.

Please Note: Hellfire Pass is approx 75km north of Kanchanaburi town. The trip from Kanchanaburi town to Hellfire Pass takes approximately 45 minutes by road.

FOR SECURITY REASONS BAGS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO BE TAKEN INTO HELLFIRE PASS.

c. Memorial Service and Wreath Laying Ceremony

time: 11:00 - 12:00
venue: Kanchanaburi Allied War Cemetery, Kanchanaburi town
details: Traditional Memorial Service and Formal Wreath Laying Ceremony

The Aussies do a cracking job with ANZAC Day, my hats off to the newer generations respect and understanding. Lets not forget only a few years ago Diggers got spat on because of involvement in Vietnam. It's nice to see they've moved on.

CivTech said:
The dawn stand-to will be held at thousands of memorial parks in suburban centres and tiny country towns. Every year, we see more young people coming, on their own initiative. My daughter will be here this year, to remember her grandfathers, one RAAF (New Guinea), one The Buffs.

Lest we forget.
I met a few Aussies in the bar last night, all of whom were in their 20's. They had driven up from the south of Thailand just for the ceremony.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Trackpen The Intelligence Cell 37
Red-On Australia 3
C Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14