Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Mr_Fingerz, Apr 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

In roughly eight hours, it will be dawn in Canberra. Servicemen and women, along with veterans, will receive the order to "Stand To" and a day of rememberance and celebration will begin with a service followed by gunfire.

I've always thought that this is a very poignant way of remembering the dead.
  2. The dawn stand-to will be held at thousands of memorial parks in suburban centres and tiny country towns. Every year, we see more young people coming, on their own initiative. My daughter will be here this year, to remember her grandfathers, one RAAF (New Guinea), one The Buffs.

Lest we forget.
  3. I'll be attending the Anzac Day Parade in Kanchanaburi, Thailand. The Australian government organises a ceremony here to remember the POW's who built the Death Railway. It saddens me that our givernment don't do anything similar considering we lost a lot more men here than the Aussies did.

4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

The Aussies do a cracking job with ANZAC Day, my hats off to the newer generations respect and understanding. Lets not forget only a few years ago Diggers got spat on because of involvement in Vietnam. It's nice to see they've moved on.
  5. I met a few Aussies in the bar last night, all of whom were in their 20's. They had driven up from the south of Thailand just for the ceremony.
  6. I'll be popping down to Hyde Park Corner tomorrow to spend some time at the Australian Memorial.