Anzac Day - Thailand

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by jest265, Feb 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I will hopefully be in Thailand at the end of April this year. I will be heading to Kanchanaburi for Anzac day which they also link with Rembrance Parade.

Any arrsers in or near Thailand fancy coming along? I'll have M Cpl Amy with me as well so she will be joining us for a few beers.

More info here:
  2. Shameless bump as my flights are now booked and MCpl Amy will be on her way to me soon.
  3. Good to hear, make sure on ANZAC Day you Remember not only the Aussie & Kiwi Casualties but also the many casualties of the British, and other Allied Nations.

Respect to them all...

We Will Remember

The Facts:

Anzac casualties: Australian 26,094 (7594 killed), New Zealand 7571 (2431 killed). The Australian War Memorial at Canberra gives the Australian casualties as 8709 killed and 19,000 wounded.

The New Zealand official figures given with their World War I statistics issued in 1932 also show a higher proportion of killed, 2721, and a total casualty figure of 7247.

The total British loss as 119,696 (43,000 killed) and the French as 27,004 (8000 killed).

The Propaganda:

Distorted propaganda is usually at its height during wars but corrected in later years. In the case of Gallipoli the opposite occurred. The official Australian war historian, Charles Bean, was reluctant to hint that Australians were ever less than heroic, and in the interests of maintaining good relationships with Australia, Cecil Aspinall-Oglander, the official British war historian, toned down even implied criticisms of any Australian action. As Rhodes James observed, the result of massaging the truth was an 'Australian mythology that Gallipoli was an Australian triumph thrown away by incompetent British commanders'.

Far worse distortions disfigure the Peter Weir film Gallipoli, which seeks to contrast cowardly and idle British troops with ANZAC heroes. Some British troops did bathe and drink tea at Suvla Bay whilst horrific fighting was taking place a few miles to the south, but others were as fully engaged in that conflict as New Zealanders and Australians.

Rhodes James noted that the 'suicidal assault' of the Australian Light Horse at The Nek on 7 August 1915 'had nothing to do with the British landing at Suvla, but was intended to help the New Zealanders, as the film's military advisers knew'.

However, 'the principal Australian sponsor of the film (Rupert Murdoch) wanted an anti-British ending, and got it', with 'the deliberately inaccurate final scenes' of the film, a potent source of Australian republican sentiments.

Few Australians realise that 'the British, French and Indian causalities were far greater than those of the Anzacs, and that the British bore the brunt of the fighting - and the losses.'

Far from covering up British errors, British historians exposed them at every level, from Kitchener, Churchill, Fisher and Hamilton down. The indecisiveness of the naval commanders , the muddle at Imbros, the incapacity of Sir Frederick Stopford, and every other British failing, were laid bare to the world. This is as it should be, if anyone is to benefit from past errors, but in 2001 British people, no more or less than Australians and New Zealanders, can take pride in heroic deeds at Gallipoli, as indeed can French, Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi people. We should not allow latter-day propagandists to sow seeds of unwarranted resentment between peoples whose ancestors fought with great courage in a common cause.