Anzac Day Brisbane Queensland

The day of days is upon us down here again. Any ex-squaddies, matelo's and the rest who will be around tomorrow in Brissie come and join us @ corner of Charlotte and George St. before 10am for the march if not @ Pig n whistle Eagle Street pier for few scoops after. That way we can: 1. Show the colonials how to march properly 2. Show them how to drink properly and 3. how to wear hard earned gongs, not loads of 'thanks for showing up' ones.........whoops!!! No offence convicts :) Bloody poms eh?

Please hijack away or any one else for that matter, should've named thread just Anzac day! It's a fantastic experience for any former service person and you're made to feel VERY welcome by the locals down here. Yes the day and its meaning has it's detractors mythologising the history with Anglo-phobic inaccuracies (some of it is just good old digger/squaddie banter btw). However the fact that almost every memorial and dawn service is FULL with people and that every school child is highly knowledgeable about the events and their significance means that my old country has ALOT to learn from the fighting nations of Australia and New Zealand. Have a great day all, Lest We Forget.

Went to Dawn service in Chinchilla and had brekky and gunshot! Fine start to the day. Going to be enjoying a few beers and games of two up after the 11am parade! Aussies certainly know how to celebrate their glorious dead!

The day of days is upon us down here again. Any ex-squaddies, matelo's and the rest who will be around tomorrow in Brissie come and join us @ corner of Charlotte and George St. before 10am for the march if not @ Pig n whistle Eagle Street pier for few scoops after. That way we can: 1. Show the colonials how to march properly 2. Show them how to drink properly and 3. how to wear hard earned gongs, not loads of 'thanks for showing up' ones.........whoops!!! No offence convicts :) Bloody poms eh?
Only 2 years late for me to give you a drinking lesson! I'm around 400 klicks south of you at the moment (on holiday). Enjoy your day. You never know, Goatrutar may show up!

I raise my drinking horn to all Aussies & Kiwis on ANZAC DAY. May you have a good one. :salut:

Dayton VA Med Center.jpg Vietnam Vets at Bar Toast.jpg

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

Lest we forget.

R03.gif

At Bomana PNG, first ANZAC Dawn service as a Pom it was a privilege and an Honour, as a number of UK serviceman are buried

there I helped our Consul lay a flower on each of their graves, impressed with our DA who saluted every single one, top bloke

Attachments

At Bomana PNG, first ANZAC Dawn service as a Pom it was a privilege and an Honour, as a number of UK serviceman are buried

there I helped our Consul lay a flower on each of their graves, impressed with our DA who saluted every single one, top bloke

The Brits were all Gunners, captured at Singers and died in captivity:

CWGC - Cemetery Details

At ANZAC Day ceremony at Valor Park on the grounds of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, OH. This is near the National Museum of the (U.S.) Air Force.

ANZAC officers and enlisted personnel who are assigned to WPAFB held their own ANZAC Day ceremony and invited interested parties to attend. One of the persons who spoke at the ceremony was Major Cem Moraloz of the Turkish Air Force. He read out the words of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk which are inscribed on a memorial at ANZAC Cove.

A gunfire breakfast was served after the sunrise ceremony.

ANZAC 1 c.jpg ANZAC 2 c.jpg ANZAC 3 c.jpg ANZAC 5 c.jpg ANZAC 6 c.jpg ANZAC 7 c.jpg ANZAC 8 c.jpg ANZAC 9 C.jpg ANZAC 4 c.jpg

Gallipoli - Memorial at Anzac Cove by Ataturk.

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives…
You are now living in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours…
You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

Ataturk, 1934
Clever bloke, that Ataturk.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
18.Platoon_in_Oz Australia 3
Red-On Australia 3
C Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14