anywhere that can give short term care after surgery

Hiya. I'm due to have some pretty major surgery in December and will be off my feet for up to six months, I'm single and my immediate family are pensioners now and wouldn't be able to help....is there anywhere I can go for some short term care....I'm still serving but only in the MPGS, thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Hiya. I'm due to have some pretty major surgery in December and will be off my feet for up to six months, I'm single and my immediate family are pensioners now and wouldn't be able to help....is there anywhere I can go for some short term care....I'm still serving but only in the MPGS, thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me.
Call social services?

Mick Harris

Old-Salt
Try SAFFA mate they may have some local contacts who will be able to point you in the right direction.

I don't know if you will get support from the military. Someone better qualified than me will hopefully answer that. From a civilian perspective if that's what you end up with, I hope this helps.

It's likely that you will have to be at home for your recuperation after the surgeons have decided you are well enough to leave the hospital. Someone mentioned social services and that is likely to be your best option unless you can afford mega bucks for private care. You can contact them by ringing your civic centre switchboard and asking to be put through to a duty officer or social worker to start the ball rolling.

Social services can provide home help and meals on wheels. The home help service will be mainly centred around cleaning and running errands such as shopping. The meals on wheels is self explanatory. There will be a charge for both services but there may be a reduction depending on your income.

Any medical care will continue to be provided by the health authority through the district nursing system. That's a free service although you will pay for prescriptions. Look into paying for your medicines in advance by direct debit. Depending on how many items you have to take, you could save a fortune.

One word of advice. It would be a good idea to make sure your home is as clean as you can make it for when you leave the hospital after your surgery. People talk about how easy it is getting an infection in their wounds in hospital. You can multiply your chances several times of getting an infection in your wounds at home. Getting the place sparkling will help to reduce the risk.

Look around for other sources of support while you are recovering. A local British Legion Club, Age concern or even a local church if you are a member of one? The last thing of course is your family. Even though they are elderly, they hopefully can still maintain a watch over you and most importantly make a phone call if there is a need to do so.

Good luck for your recovery. I hope it all goes well.

Edit. I should have added. There should be a social worker office at the hospital which should organise a care package for your discharge If you have not arranged anything prior to you entering the hospital. It is better though in my view to sort out the details before you go in for your surgery. By doing so, you should be able to explore your options more thoroughly and decide what's best for yourself while you are still fit and able to make your own mind up.

While the hospital won't discharge you until they think you are fit enough, they will want to claim your bed back as soon as they reasonably can for a new patient still on the list for an operation. That means you could end up with a care package that you may not be entirely happy about or may want more input into the decisions but are not necessarily fit enough to convey your wishes.

Last edited:
I'm another pitching in with no idea of what I'm talking about but I would suggest that in the first instance, speak to your CoC, then talk to RBL and SSSFA and if nobody helps bleat to the press. If you're my way I'll do what I can but I'm. Thiry miles from the nearest MPGS location so it's unlikely to be practical.

RBL, SSAFA and have a look via social services, hospital almoner for convalescence homes. Church, Sally Army, CAB. Lots of agencies to get advice from but it's up in the air. Try to get in the RMT union, they have convalescence homes and take a broad range of members. :cool:

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
H4H may be able to help, or at least get you a referral somewhere.

The hospital should only permit you to be discharged when you are well enough to look after yourself. If the period of time to get you back to independence is deemed to be unrealistically long, then the hospital should make arrangements with Social Services for on-going care in a step-down facility, or at home care.

Your GP or consultant's secretary may both offer you advice before being admitted. Maybe your CoC could arrange a place at a military RRU?

Talk to the medics whose care you are under, both hospital and at home, discharge planning by the medics should be taking place even before you are admitted.

It is good to hear you are making your own plans, however ensuring a support network is in place post discharge is a responsibility of the surgical team, so you working collaboratively with them is in my opinion going to bring the best outcome for you.

If the medics are not getting stuff sorted properly before they get you under the knife, remind them of the 7 P's.

Good luck and here's hoping they do not have to surgically remove anything too much (oh and do not remove what should not be removed.......)

Thanks guys for all your responses I sincerely mean that, its great to know there are people out there who care enough to take the time to respond to a question like this so thoughtfully, there's some great advice here and I'm already acting on it, once again thank you : )