Anything positive about Labour?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Cootie1, Jun 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am an American, so forgive my ignorance, but I have a serious question. Is there any user of this site that has anything positive to say about Tony Blair or the Labour government? Have you run across anyone who has something good to say about the Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, the new defence sec John Reid or any other Labour politicians? I notice that British troops tend to be conservative, like their counterparts here in the USA. Thanks.

2. Journo perhaps?

3. We get a chance to get rid of him in around 4 years time, now thats positive.

4. No, I am certainly not a journalist. I am an American
    (resident of New York) that is very interested in US and UK politics. Thanks for your replies.

5. Here's a good thing: The UK is the first nation out of the G8 to make serious attempts to resolve poverty in African nations

Domestically....unemployment is at a low. Things are far from perfect...however, after almsot two decades of conservative balls ups, i'm not surprised things are still a mess. They can't even decide on a leader. Hell, everyone KNEW Michael Howard would never lead the Tories to victory.

6. Couldn't resist, sorry:

While visiting England, George Bush is invited to tea with the Queen. He asks her what her leadership philosophy is. She says that it is to surround herself with intelligent people. Bush asks how she knows if they're intelligent.
    "I do so by asking them the right questions," says the Queen. "Allow me to demonstrate."
    Bush watches as the Queen phones Tony Blair and says, "Mr. Prime Minister, please answer this question: your mother has a child, and your father has a child, and this child is not your brother or sister. Who is it?"
    Tony Blair responds, "It's me, ma'am."
    "Correct. Thank you and good-bye, sir," says the Queen. She hangs up and says, "Did you get that, Mr. Bush?"
    Bush nods: "Yes ma'am. Thanks a lot. I'll definitely be using that!" Bush, upon returning to Washington, decides he'd better put the Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to the test. Bush summons Jesse Helms to the White House and says, "Senator Helms, I wonder if you can answer a question for me."
    "Why, of course, sir. What's on your mind?"
    Bush poses the question: "Uhh, your mother has a child, and your father has a child, and this child is not your brother or your sister. Who is it?"
    Helms hems and haws and finally asks, "Can I think about it and get back to you?"
    Bush agrees, and Helms leaves.
    He immediately calls a meeting of other senior Republican senators, and they puzzle over the question for several hours, but nobody can come up with an answer. Finally, in desperation, Helms calls Colin Powell at the State Department and explains his problem. "Now lookee here, son, your mother has a child, and your father has a child, and this child is not your brother or your sister. Who is it?"
    Powell answers immediately, "It's me, of course."
    Much relieved, Helms rushes back to the White House, finds George Bush, and exclaims, "I know the answer, sir! I know who it is! It's Colin Powell!"
    And Bush replies in disgust, "Wrong, you idiot, it's Tony Blair!"

7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Gordon Brown has raised taxes more than any Chancellor I can remember, and done it by stealth, because Labour promised not to raise taxes.

The National Health Service gets worse, not better. Ditto education.

Crime is up, and the job of the police has been made harder by Labour.

Immigration/asylum is a mess.

Bliar's and his wife takes free holidays from unsavoury characters; she takes advantage of his public duties to make money.

As for John Reid: once a communist....

So, no, I have nothing good to say about Tony Bliar, Labour or John Reid.

8. Nothing from me, he has done nothing apart from fleecing me of some of my hard earned cash.

A new stat for you, taking into account Stealth taxes introduced by labour in its term in government.

The avereaged out tax burden on the individual now means that it is only past the 7th of june that the money you earn actually ends up in your pocket.

This compared to the stat back in 1997 when the day was around April time.

This is a fairly ball park figure but it is quite a good indicator. There is not correlation between the increase in taxes and gain in society as far as i can see. Only more bureaucrats in jobs doing what they think is best for me. Politicians seeing that they look after their own kin creating jobs for each other in a self perpetuating circle that grows exponentially. Mean while Defence gets stuffed due to its, "can do" attitude and the fact that we dont whinge like other civil servants (fire-fighters), we are an easy target for this government's book ballancers to attack.

It all needs to get cut back and some of these wannabe politicians in these regulatory bodies and QUANGOs need go collect their P45 and exit the back door.

9. "Is there any user of this site that has anything positive to say about Tony Blair or the Labour government? Have you run across anyone who has something good to say about the Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, the new defence sec John Reid or any other Labour politicians?"

On this board, ah American optimisam.

"I notice that British troops tend to be conservative, like their counterparts here in the USA."

See we do have sumthing in common despite an ocean between us.
    john

10. The plus side:
    If it hadn't been for Labour, I would still be an unemployed, disabled, statistic.
    Due to their policies, I am now running my own successful business.
    The economy has weathered the World recession better than just about anywhere else.

The minus:
    Kneejerk firearms legislation.
    Downsizing the Army when manpower is at a premium.
    PC policies.
    ID Cards.
    Pro Europe stance.

11. I suppose a positve thing to say (and more than likely the reason he got back in this time in my opinion) is that the opposition keep on producing these complete lamers to lead them, and that brings us onto a better the devil you know scenario.

If the tories had a halfway charismatic bloke heading up the party, I reckon they would probably have won this time, the populace generally doesn't want a wet fart type in charge. Whatever Tony is, stealth taxes and nonsense and all the rest of it, at least he's got some sort of spark and as such will appeal to a lot of people on that point alone.

12. Why si everyone so anti-ID cards? Are yopu scared they might find out something on you?? They already know everyhting about you anyway on the computer, so why does it matter iof its stored on an ID card database?!

Having to present your ID card to get benefits and proove beyond doubt your identity with biometric data is an excelent idea. I'm yet to see one genuine anti-ID card argument.

"The National Health Service gets worse, not better"

Sigh. It akes SEVEN YEARS to train a Doctor.Which why only now waiting lists are going down...because not only does it take seven years to train a doctor, that doctor than needs to be trained in specialities. So annoyed by a crap NHS? Blame the Tories

"Crime is up, and the job of the police has been made harder by Labour"

No, you're wrong. VIOLENT crime is up, but crime in general is down. The job of police has been made harder, I'll agree with you there, and the CPSO thingies they have wondering around are just stupid. I mean, they can't do anything! So yes, you're right there. However, if you knew anyone in the police (say, My dad who's a senior police officer and has beens erving for almost 30 years) you'll discover that the quality of police recruits has gone down. Worse recruits, worse officers, lower quality of policing

"Immigration/asylum is a mess"

Yeah ok. But it can be solved with ID cards!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't claim illegal beenfits if you don't have an ID card!

"Pro Europe Stance"

You want an anti-Europe stance? I'd like to see the letter written to all the countries buisnesses "Dear Buisnesses. I'm going to sabotage any possible chance our buisnesses have of growing in the closest and mos accessible market our country has". ANd it can't be that pro, otherwise we'd have joined the single currency and not had a referendum on the new constitution (which I would have voted no for)

"Downsizing the Army when manpower is at a premium"

Conservatives & Falklands war. Didn't they do the same? Maybe it's something governments do in general, for some very strange reason.

13. ID cards - a lot of expensive high tech gimmickery that can only get it right 2/3s of the time. What's it going to stop, to a casual observer they can be easily forged or mis-used - just look at the States to see the industry in forged IDs so that kids can buy alcohol, etc.

Doctors and the NHS - Fair point on the length of time to train doctors. But why are so many doctors still leaving the NHS? It doesn't take 7 years to train cleaners, so why is MRSA still so bad? Why is there so little progress in dealing with the disgraceful situation with NHS dental cover?

Crime figures - which load of balls are you reading, the governments propaganda British Crime Survey or the polices recorded crime statistics? There's a hell of a difference and I know which one I believe.

Illegal immigrants do 'well' enough without ID cards because they will always find people who are willing to exploit them. It also falls foul of apathy or overwork in the Benefits Agency where a lot of people get away with not being checked on. Also, see my first point about forged documentation!

Stance on Europe - Damned right I like to see at least one main party take an Anti-EU stance. It's corrupt, inefficient and un-democratic. Funnily enough we still manage to trade with the rest of Europe desipite not being in the mess that is the Euro, we also manage to trade perfectly well with the rst of the world despite them not being in Europe - so why should withdrawal from the EU be damaging to business. Companies will still find customers whether we are in the EU or not. It's just a fallacy to say that it has helped trade in any way. The same way that there is an oft-repeated comment that it has kept peace in Europe for 50+ years. For a start it hasn't been around that long and reason for peace was the clear threat from the USSR that focused all thoughts of the countries that formed NATO.

So stop trying the very tired old trick of still trying to blame the Tories for Neue Arbeits failings. The Tories main failings are not having the courage of their convictions and failing to get themselves a charismatic leader. Bliar and his cronies have far more to answer for.

14. Positive things about Labour.

1. Labour cannot last forever

2. They are beter than Lib Democrats

3. Tony Blair has a son called Dameon who has a tatoo behind his ear and is the devil incarnate, one day he will rule the world, until God comes down and strikes him into the depths of hell forever.........

4. Er cannot thik of anything else, I suppose you could say at least he's not a Scotsman if you were trying to be kind.