Anyone work for Capita or Mouchel?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by 4th_of_foot, Apr 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm in Local Government IT, and about to get outsourced to one of the above companies.

If any of you guys work for them, I'd be grateful for info about their attitude to Reserves and time off etc.
  2. msr

msr LE

You should be TUPE'd across.
  3. Yes MSR, you are entirely correct.

Unfortunately though, in practice, TUPE is not worth the paper it's printed on.
  4. msr

msr LE

How much longer have you got in the reserves?
  5. I used to work for Mouchel and if i remember correctly one of the managers there had done some work in encouraging companies to give TA soliders time off for camp. Speak to SaBRE and see what they say.
  6. Hmmm, well, I'm not entirely sure, but not more than a couple of years probably. Age is against me, but I'll hang on as long as I can pass the fitness and as long as they will let me.

I'd like to do another tour if poss.
  7. Sods law, of course, predicts that it's likely that Capita will get it :-(
  8. Hiya - I used to work for Capita in Blackburn and was one of 3 TA lads there, and they seem to be ok with having reservists working for them.
  9. The perks weren't too bad either - looked after the staff and had things like free bars every 6 months or so, shareshave scheme, etc.
  10. TUPE means that your original terms and conditions are transferred to your new employer with a continuation of service. It is worth whatever your original contract is worth.
  11. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Not entirely true. TUPE only covers basic conditions, not pension, redundancy or other elements of your contract.

I speak as one who was TUPEd!
  12. msr

msr LE

Contact your local SaBRE rep and see if they are a 'supportive employer'

Or just get a pipe and a pair of slippers :)

13. Capita are in business to make money and as a result are often unfairly pilloried. They were good as gold about reservists when I worked for them. I think their policy is summed up as, "you won't make a profit but you won't be out of pocket". Which if we believe our own hype, we are in the TA to serve3 not earn extra pocket money...
  14. :) :) :) Excellent MSR, not ready for that yet though, so I'll check out the SaBRE link :)

I'm approaching the whole thing with a fairly open mind Cuddles, and some of the reports I've had regarding Capita at other similar locations have been good. As long as they are happy with my annual camp and potential tour, then I'll be happy.

BAS and GR, I'm aware of what TUPE means (and TUPE Plus which is what our current employer is pushing for), but, in practice, there are a number of very large loop holes which the receiving organisation can use to get out of it.

Only time will tell.

thanks all for the help.