Anyone want to visit the National Army Museum?

Discussion in 'Lonely Hearts' started by Lucretia, Jun 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lucretia

Lucretia Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Good morning.
    This is not really a lonely heart, but I 'd like a knowledgeable companion for a visit to the National Army Museum. I frequently find myself in London, minuting long meetings, but they usually finish mid afternoon and then I make the most of my work-paid train ticket to visit somewhere. I went around the Imperial War Museum on my own a couple of weeks ago, and thought how much nicer it would be if I had someone with me who knew something about some of the exhibits.
    I have no military connections, just a strong, recently acquired, interest in post WWII military history - sparked by some research I did. (been lurking here about a year)

As regards what you'd get from this afternoon out, and mindful of the trades description act, I can say that I am nearly 40, I am fat ( I can walk though!) and, especially with my hair tied back, I bear an unsettling resemblence to Mrs Potatohead. However I am intelligent and good company. And if you behave yourself I will buy you coffee and a bun.

I'm off to work now, where I can't look at this forum, so I'll just leave open this hole I've dug for myself, and let you all backfill it with nonsense during the day.

Thanks for reading.

2. I'll do it. I am exceptionally knowledgeable. I can just see it now.....that's a tank. See that...that's another one. That's a gun. There's another tank and some soldiery type thingys. That's a helmet.....aren't you glad you came?

3. Lucretia,

Great post and thank you for making me smile this morning.

4. Fat forty year old goth with a strong, recently acquired, interest in post WWII military history.

Hmmm.... p'raps not.

5. Ooooo, get Mr Picky?

6. You haven't seen her attempts at cold war style helmet scrim!

[​IMG]

7. Have those bingo wings been folded over?

8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Lucretia strikes me as a forthright, honest and upfront lady, a charming person with an interest in military matters and history. Too often we decry those that show no interest, so we should welcome those who do. Were I able to get away, I would be pleased to show this lady some old military artefacts, those from days gone by and no longer in use. Ngelected and ignored, in need of restoration, these museum pieces should be seen and loved.

9. I think she'd be more interested in the cake selection in the museum cafeteria.

10. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I like cakes too. Very keen on a cream split.

11. What will OFaH get if he doesn't behave himself?

(I really don't think I should have asked that at this time of the morning)

12. Lucretia

A goth! A goth! How dare you! How absolutely DARE you!
    Ooooo. You come outside and call me that and I'll wash your mouth out with soap...

Goth indeed.

Never been so insulted.....

Add my digust at being called a goth *shudder* to my pique at seeing I get half the replies of the lad in Cyprus....

I'll give up and watch the football.

13. If you're stuck, you could invite one of the nice gentlemen in red coats who live next door to accompany you. It'd probably make their day. You'd also have the advantage of being accompanied by someone who probably knows first-hand what the artefacts are.

Unless you pick someone who's ex-ACC, but they'd still make up some convincing stories. :)

14. Are you trying to seduce another lady with your life story, OFNH? :D

Litotes

15. Lucretia

OFAH I had to read that twice before the subtext got through.. I will have to raise my game for this forum I can see.

puttee - a nice idea. I didn't know they were allowed out.

sean - thanks.

Of course there are other exhibs in London worth a look. Also on my 'like to see' list is the current exhibtion of British Orientalist art at the Tate, the RA Summer show and, from July 24, the British Museum has an exhibition about Hadrian that looks very interesting.
    And I shall, it would seem, be going around all of them on my own, with only an audio tour for company.