Anyone want a new-build Me109?

#3
My German isn't up to much, try non-existant: Is this a rebuild or being built from scratch?
 
#6
My German's also non-existant. Just out of curiosity, is it airworthy, and could you fly it on a Group A PPL?
 
#7
Uncivil_Servant said:
My German's also non-existant. Just out of curiosity, is it airworthy, and could you fly it on a Group A PPL?
I'd imagine it would be airworthy, since they say this under the heading: "Problemlösungen" - Problem-solving:
Im Flug ist der Untergurt mit bis zu 80 t belastet.
Translation: "In flight, the lower beam (of the wing-support section) is subjected to stresses of up to 80 tonnes".

Hope this helps.

MsG
 
#8
texans built some me262.
but the replica me136 fell to the problem they could'nt find anybody insane enough in texas with enough cash to buy one :?
Got to be a record what you proposing is so dangerous even a texan won't go for it :D
 
#9
Bugsy said:
Uncivil_Servant said:
My German's also non-existant. Just out of curiosity, is it airworthy, and could you fly it on a Group A PPL?
I'd imagine it would be airworthy, since they say this under the heading: "Problemlösungen" - Problem-solving:
Im Flug ist der Untergurt mit bis zu 80 t belastet.
Translation: "In flight, the lower beam (of the wing-support section) is subjected to stresses of up to 80 tonnes".

Hope this helps.

MsG
Thanks Bugsy - much appreciated. Does the site give any indication of all-up weight?
 
#10
Wow, that's quite impressive. Do you reckon it will be better build quality than the originals?
 
C

cloudbuster

Guest
#11
Modern airworthiness standards and a better understanding of metallurgy would suggest so.

That and not having fleets of B17 and B24 trying to level your production facilities.
 
#13
Biscuits_AB said:
PartTimePongo said:
Have to provide your own DB 601/5 though..


http://www.leichtbau-gmbh.de/index.htm
I've got an old Lambretta engine in the garage.

(Do they do part-ex? I've got a Mondeo I need shot of)
Is it a 12 cylinder Lambretta engine? Only I think they actually built/subcontracted building the DB601 back in the day?

You can new build a Spitfire too. The expertise is out there now, only not all under the same roof as far as I am aware.

Mind you, I think Hawker Restorations could probably build you a new Hurricane from scratch.
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#15
PartTimePongo said:
You can new build a Spitfire too. The expertise is out there now, only not all under the same roof as far as I am aware.

Mind you, I think Hawker Restorations could probably build you a new Hurricane from scratch.
From todays Sun

A PLANE buff has built a kit-model replica of a Spitfire — and taken it up in the skies.

Engineer Iain Hutchinson spent £70,000 on the aluminium parts to create a 24ft-long version of the World War Two aircraft.

It took him and 25 volunteers around 2,000 man hours to build after he bought the 80 per cent scale kit from an Australian firm.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2233847.ece
 
#16
the_boy_syrup said:
PartTimePongo said:
You can new build a Spitfire too. The expertise is out there now, only not all under the same roof as far as I am aware.

Mind you, I think Hawker Restorations could probably build you a new Hurricane from scratch.
From todays Sun

A PLANE buff has built a kit-model replica of a Spitfire — and taken it up in the skies.

Engineer Iain Hutchinson spent £70,000 on the aluminium parts to create a 24ft-long version of the World War Two aircraft.

It took him and 25 volunteers around 2,000 man hours to build after he bought the 80 per cent scale kit from an Australian firm.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2233847.ece
If you are going to build an 80% scale spitfire why not just build the full size one
 
#17
ME 109 ? NEIN DANKE !

I'd prefer a new Spit !

Maybe when I'm a lottery winner, i'll buy/manufacture one ?


ps. Could somebody lend me a quid for a lottery ticket, i'll promise to give it back if I win the jackpot.
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#18
BoundApprentice said:
the_boy_syrup said:
PartTimePongo said:
You can new build a Spitfire too. The expertise is out there now, only not all under the same roof as far as I am aware.

Mind you, I think Hawker Restorations could probably build you a new Hurricane from scratch.
From todays Sun

A PLANE buff has built a kit-model replica of a Spitfire — and taken it up in the skies.

Engineer Iain Hutchinson spent £70,000 on the aluminium parts to create a 24ft-long version of the World War Two aircraft.

It took him and 25 volunteers around 2,000 man hours to build after he bought the 80 per cent scale kit from an Australian firm.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2233847.ece
If you are going to build an 80% scale spitfire why not just build the full size one
I wondered if it was to do with lack of guns etc you don't need a full size one because there isn't half of the kit on it?
 
#19
PTP,

That looks beautiful! I want one!!

Any idea the variant being reproduced, or is it up to the customer? The pic looks to me like an F or G but the markings are more reminiscent of 1940 era Emils.

Regards,
MM
 
#20
Uncivil_Servant said:
Bugsy said:
Uncivil_Servant said:
My German's also non-existant. Just out of curiosity, is it airworthy, and could you fly it on a Group A PPL?
I'd imagine it would be airworthy, since they say this under the heading: "Problemlösungen" - Problem-solving:
Im Flug ist der Untergurt mit bis zu 80 t belastet.
Translation: "In flight, the lower beam (of the wing-support section) is subjected to stresses of up to 80 tonnes".

Hope this helps.

MsG
Thanks Bugsy - much appreciated. Does the site give any indication of all-up weight?
There's no indication on the website that they even build complete aircraft, let alone about weights. It seems to be a company specialising in knocking out obsolete or unusual parts.

If you like, I'll give 'em a bell about it on Monday morning and see what they say. I'll be doing that anyway, because I want to make 'em an offer they can't refuse for translating their website into English, so gizza list of any queries you might have and I'll do the rest.

MsG
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top