Anyone want a new-build Me109?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by PartTimePongo, Feb 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OOOOH, just what my wife REALLY wants for Valentine's Day!
  2. My German isn't up to much, try non-existant: Is this a rebuild or being built from scratch?
  3. Built from scratch
  4. want one it would look good on the drive next to a spitfire
  5. My German's also non-existant. Just out of curiosity, is it airworthy, and could you fly it on a Group A PPL?
  6. I'd imagine it would be airworthy, since they say this under the heading: "Problemlösungen" - Problem-solving:
    Translation: "In flight, the lower beam (of the wing-support section) is subjected to stresses of up to 80 tonnes".

Hope this helps.

7. texans built some me262.
    but the replica me136 fell to the problem they could'nt find anybody insane enough in texas with enough cash to buy one :?
    Got to be a record what you proposing is so dangerous even a texan won't go for it :D
  8. Thanks Bugsy - much appreciated. Does the site give any indication of all-up weight?
  9. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Wow, that's quite impressive. Do you reckon it will be better build quality than the originals?
  10. Modern airworthiness standards and a better understanding of metallurgy would suggest so.

That and not having fleets of B17 and B24 trying to level your production facilities.
  11. I've got an old Lambretta engine in the garage.

(Do they do part-ex? I've got a Mondeo I need shot of)
  12. Is it a 12 cylinder Lambretta engine? Only I think they actually built/subcontracted building the DB601 back in the day?

You can new build a Spitfire too. The expertise is out there now, only not all under the same roof as far as I am aware.

Mind you, I think Hawker Restorations could probably build you a new Hurricane from scratch.
  13. Sorry, I've just looked. It's not a Lambretta, it's a Vespa.
  14. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

From todays Sun

A PLANE buff has built a kit-model replica of a Spitfire — and taken it up in the skies.

Engineer Iain Hutchinson spent £70,000 on the aluminium parts to create a 24ft-long version of the World War Two aircraft.

It took him and 25 volunteers around 2,000 man hours to build after he bought the 80 per cent scale kit from an Australian firm.