Anyone walked Hadrians Wall

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by angular, Aug 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I want to walk the central section of Hadrian's Wall next month; has anyone done this, and can you recommend pub B&B's?

I'm expecting to be out by Friday lunchtime, back to bosom of loving family by late Sunday, so maybe doing 50 miles, two nights, with suitable lunches along the way if I wander past a decent pub.

Thanks.

2. Many, many and thrice many years since I did it. There is lots to see on route, the camps have lots of history, but there is still nothing like striding the walls and breathing in the air.
    However if you want beer/sarnies then you are generally best making a small detour on occasion, like at Greenhead. Or at night leave the wall and head for a village.

Best of luck, you should really enjoy it.

3. Yes, whole wall once then returned 3 months later and re-walked the mid section. Adored it and hanker for doing it all over again :D

The mid section, being remote, has limited accommodation that doesn't require going too far off track. When I returned I stayed HERE which I highly recommend - gorgeous farmhouse accommodation north side of the wall with fabulous views of the wall and most importantly walkable from the wall path. It's pretty much centre of the wall route at Steel Rigg/Twice Brewed. The pub there, Twice Brewed Inn, just south of the wall is great and I believe that offers accommodation too. The farmhouse owners will also drop off/pick you up virtually anywhere along the wall if you wish to use them as a base.

The Hadrian Hotel (it's actually a pub) at Wall, near Chollerton,01434 681232, is also walkable from the route, I've stayed there too. From there to the Steel Rigg Farmhouse is, from memory, approx. 15 miles.

More advice on THIS THREAD

Best advice of all is HERE

You'll love it!

4. Doing it weekend 22-26th August. I will let you know how it goes.

5. I'm hoping to be there 19-22nd September, if my mate can come (I spend enough time on my own as it is). Going to walk W-E, as I'm assuming that the equinox gales will be blowing that weekend!

6. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I walked it many times, but the armour used to chafe, then the Legion was withdrawn!

However, I have walked it twice, many years ago. I used to stay at a hostel in Acomb, but have no idea if it is still there. I camped most of the time, but since this really was many years ago, even before The Beatles, I probably can't help. But good luck to anyone who does walk it, beautiful countryside, wonderful people and God's own country.

And, as an afterthought, if anyone does go to Acomb, there used to be a pub, halfway up the high Street that was brilliant.

7. Walked it a few times. Tremendous - especially in really bad weather. Can recommend the pub at Wall. Allow time for some of the museums and info sites - it is far more than just a walk. There is lots of free info stuff about if you put Hardrians Wall into Google

8. That sounds like good advice. I'm still planning walking trips for a 'head down, arse up' speed of march, rather than gentle amble with mates.

The quantity of info on the net is what prompted me to start this thread, there's just so much of it.

9. You can't just beast yourself along the route, you MUST allow time just to stop and look and breathe, it really is incredible in some parts, merely very bonny along the rest. If you stop off for a pint and sarnie and lunch and get one of the good local brews, allow for an extra replen to slow you down a bit.

You will enjoy.
    That is not an order, it is a prediction.

10. WALT ALERT!!!!

There were no legions stationed on the wall at any time in its history....it was manned by auxillaries! :p :D

I've outed you! :wink:

11. Agreed, hence why I returned 3 months later for a proper look as the first time was a continual beasting from end to end. The mid section is excellent for both a beasting and a gander, but not simultaneously. Walking in both directions affords you a surprisingly different experience too.

12. Done it a few times, I live in Newcastle so it would be rude not too really.

I would recommend doing it in the winter time, the scenery is quite stunning (great photo op) with a bit of frost and snow on the ground.

13. Any news/reviews?

14. Nope, it is still there, nobody's taken it.

15. You say that like you've been there to check. Can I trust you on that, oh Senyor Catalan??