Anyone use pre-50's (ish) vintage cameras?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Stan_Da_Bout, Sep 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've always been into photography (eyes over the shoulder love, that's it, lift the hem... Nice) :)
    I've had a DSLR and a bag of lenses for a few years now and get some great results especially after chucking CR2 around photoshop but hey.

Over the last year or so I've started collecting a few vintage cameras ("You filling the house with old crap again?! We still have a shed/loft/back room full of [insert last fad here]!!")

I've got three, count them, Leica rangefinders, a couple of Zorkis, an American Ciroflex TLR, 2 folders - a 1929 Vroitlander and a 1917 Kodak, plus a few other dodgy bits of crap. I must admit I had a cull of few last month otherwise there would be more!

It all started off as a friend of mine has a Leica and the results are stunning. Anyone else as stupid as me about these old beauties?

2. Bloody should be at the price they cost.

3. Indeed, I have a Kodak Retinette 2 or 2 B somewhere it produces reasonable pictures or it did when last used.

4. You'd just reminded me, I have one of those as well ....

5. Don't worry it's not worth anything.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

6. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Got a few but never put any film through them. The big one cost a fiver in East Germany.

CIMG2300.jpg

7. Probably more worth as a paperweight. Mine had a film still in it when I first got it. I only know because I opened the back .... Knobhead! Never did that again. Could have been pictures of Twiggy from the 60s... There again ..

8. That big one looks a bit like my 1917 Kodak. I do try to use mine, there are a few online discount film outlets. Cheaper than Max Speilman

9. I've still got my Grans old ensign midget, I really need to get it serviced (the camera not my dead gran) and a seagull twin lens reflex. I've not used either in a while but I think I may just get them both serviced soon and press them back into action. If nothing else they'll be useful for a bit of cheap advertising for the wedding side of the business.

I'm on the look out for a really old camera I can stick a new digital camera into for a little side project.

someone elses photo of an ensign midget as I'm too lazy to upload my own
    ensign-midget-subminiature-folding-camera-9.99-26088-p[ekm]500x375[ekm].jpg

seagull twin lens (again someone elses image)

seagull.jpg

oh and a halina 35x I forgot I had

HALINA.3.jpg

10. I'm not into it, but I have a Asahiflex SLR which was the first Japanese production SLR. The company later became better known as Pentax, probably when they realized that Japanese names were not a marketing asset in the post-WW2 US market.

It belonged to my late father-in-law. I've been planning to run some film through it to see if it works for years but haven't yet got around to it.

Any suggestions on where to sell such a thing? E-bay? I'll post a picture, if anyone is interested, although you can see what they look like on Google.

My wife dislikes it, every family event was spoiled by the thing stuck to her father's face. It's hers in reality, she gets the dosh, I was delegated the task of getting rid of technical stuff.

I think she realised where her childhood housekeeping money had been going when we advertised his early 60s "record player" on E-Bay, without prior research, for a derisory sum; the flood of enquiries from the USA, all parts of Europe and Japan caused a rapid revision of the description.

11. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Old cameras used to have a little window of red celluloid that enabled one to read which number exposure one had got to. Over time this celluloid fades and lets light in & the camera in its original state is then NBG.