Anyone transferred from Infantry to Int Corps before?

Looking to get some information on transferring to the Intelligence Corps, from Infantry.

Basically I'm wanting to do something different and would like to know what its like being transferred? Where the phase 2 (if it is that) training is conducted? Also if I'd have to go back to the depot for the training? Extra training received after phase 2? What is the pay like? And would i get a choice in the posting I'd like? And what the job actually consists of and battalion life (If any different from an infantry battalion)? Lastly do you receive the rank of Lcpl after the training?

Oh, the job I'm looking to transfer to is a Intelligence Operative

Thanks for any help and information provided!

Plenty of guys from the Infantry have transferred- I deliberately did Combat Arms before transferring and it stood me in good stead. IIRC there were 4 or 5 on the Squad I transferred in on. We had 14 transferees all told. Most went on to a full career. used to be you did the last two weeks of basi c alongside the recruits but that has probably changed due to the centralised training. Phase 2 I would imagine to be at Chicksands.

Current pay bands you would have to research yourself.

Postings - you can put in a dream sheet but they are going to send you where they need you.

Bn life- you get treated more like a grown up and its a bit more chilled than an Inf Bn- respect breeds respect. You are working in small sections, not normally more than 8-10 scattered across the Bn area. A lot of life depends on the unit that is co-located and providing Admin support and accn, etc.

Promotion to LCpl is on completion of training. Talk to guys in your local MI Section for feedback- there's a good chance that there's at least 1 transferee amongst them. Bear in mind I transferred in 1985 and things will definitely be different now.

I transferred from Infantry to Int in the early 80's. I was a lance jack (with 5 years service) when I transferred and made Sgt 4 years later.

I found the inf skills and experience helped out a lot on exercises with other units (Bde sig sqns etc) and gave me credibility when dealing with people who thought Int types were just office wallahs.

Of course, you have to be good at the Int stuff as well.

In my experience the transferees offer a variety of experience to the direct entrants, while the mind boggling lunacy/skills of some of the direct entrants can teach the transferees a thing or two.

Everyone benefits. :)

There have been plenty of Infantry transferees to the Int Corps, including one who went on to be Corps RSM. We are band/scale 3 on the NEM pay rates so you'd get a pay rise on completion of Phase 2.

Talk to your RCMO. He or she will have the most up to date information and can arrange for you to talk to current Corps personnel. This will help you determine if the Corps is for you (and vice versa) before you do anything formal.

I was a retread from the RCT. Everything was easy after that, including stickyreading.

Edit: I was expecting immediate incoming after that, but the ex-Infantry among us are obviously on their Friday standdown. Weaklings, all.

Last edited:
Whooo, whooo.

Your Ouija board not working? I just tapped you on the shoulder and whispered: "Noooo...."

Whooo, whooo.

Your Ouija board not working? I just tapped you on the shoulder and whispered: "Noooo...."
Don't tell him your name Smudge !

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bn life- you get treated more like a grown up and its a bit more chilled than an Inf Bn- respect breeds respect. You are working in small sections, not normally more than 8-10 scattered across the Bn area. A lot of life depends on the unit that is co-located and providing Admin support and accn, etc.
I'm not int corps, although I work closely with them (and oddly I have two mates who transferred from the infantry to the Int Corps, one a Capt and the other a LCpl) so my expertise is limited. I did pick up on this comment about Bn life though and thought it worth a reply.

As infantry, your horizons are probably limited to battalion life because that's all you've really experienced so far. Not your fault, but there's a lot of other stuff going on out there! There are a few MI Battalions, but large numbers of the Int corps are attached to different units and agencies, so the options for where you can go are vast. The Int corps almost certainly have the greatest variety of opportunities for ORs of any corps if you want to see different parts of the MOD/SIA and contribute to operational output. You can also get a lot of responsibility at a relatively junior rank, which must be attractive to someone who has been a rifleman so far! Good luck to you.

Is that because they cease to be transferees after two years? ;)

(2009-11: was he a reallocation then? because he came across from the Infantry to the squad behind mine. I always thought he was a transferee)
He was certainly in the Green Howards as a regular for a period of time before he joined the Corps.