• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Anyone taken the LFTT course lately?

Done pairs fire and manoeuvre not so long ago, and IBSR.

Safetys behind each shooter, targets will fall when hit - the usual - was there any particular question?

LFTT- Live Fire Tactical Training,

fire team/section/ platoon etc attacks done live, usually the ground has 'obvious' fire support positions and routes for advance to assist with the safety supervisors.

Sorry BB, wasnt sure what you werwe asking! Looking to get a place to run LFTT or find a unit who are doing it soon to join in yourself?

Waldorfmuppet said:

fire team/section/ platoon etc attacks done live, usually the ground has 'obvious' fire support positions and routes for advance to assist with the safety supervisors.

Sorry BB, wasnt sure what you werwe asking! Looking to get a place to run LFTT or find a unit who are doing it soon to join in yourself?
Ahhhh! :) What used to be called RMQ 4-5 (I think) or am I talking bolox? :wink:

Sorry guys; post question in haste, confuse helpful peeps!

I'd rather do a useful course than go to Khazakstan this year and the LFTT ( the old RMQ 4 and 5 ) seems to e favourite - my gang are deploying next year and having this under my belt would be useful.

I'm trying to get loaded onto an LFTT course at jolly old Brecon.

The_Duke

LE
oldcolt said:
Waldorfmuppet said:

Ahhhh! :) What used to be called RMQ 4-5 (I think) or am I talking bolox? :wink:
Yes - RMQ 4-5 (field firing) renamed under the "rename to confuse" policy adopted by the armed forces since time immemorial.

oldcolt said:
Yes, stage 4 is transition to live fire (IBSR, mover, pairs etc) and 5 is LFTT.

Bit of rebranding, wonder who gets paid for coming up with new names for things for no reason?

The OBUIA/FIBUIA name change consultant group must have made a fortune by now!

The_Duke said:
oldcolt said:
Waldorfmuppet said:

Yes - RMQ 4-5 (field firing) renamed under the "rename to confuse" policy adopted by the armed forces since time immemorial.
:D Thanks Duke, I had worries that I was having (another) senior moment!!!! :wink:

Bravo_Bravo said:

I'd rather do a useful course than go to Khazakstan this year and the LFTT ( the old RMQ 4 and 5 ) seems to e favourite - my gang are deploying next year and having this under my belt would be useful.

As far as I am aware, the 'TA' LFTT qual will only let you run exercises, not plan them. I had looked into the course a while back but decided it wasn't useful enough at the time. With your 1-3 qual you can still act as safety on LFTT (with a CO's wavier).

Unless, it is the long course your planning on doing?

Waldorfmuppet said:
Bravo_Bravo said:

As far as I am aware, the 'TA' LFTT qual will only let you run exercises, not plan them. I had looked into the course a while back but decided it wasn't useful enough at the time. With your 1-3 qual you can still act as safety on LFTT (with a CO's wavier).

Unless, it is the long course your planning on doing?
Just a quikie and a bit off subject but... before I left in 2001, I had RMQ 1to3 under my belt. I've now re-joined and having to go through basic again BUT, will my RMQ qual still be applicable when I have the rank to go with it and, if anyone knows; what other quals I had might still be valid (Regimental signaller standard 2, Sharpshooter, skill at Arms instructor, NBC assistent instructor (God help them on that one if I still am!!!!) as well as a few others....? Thanks in anticipation :)

I think that for your RMQ quals to be valid you need to be "current, qualified and capable". Given that your quals are at least eight years old, you may well need to requalify. Dunno about the others though.

oldcolt said:
Just a quikie and a bit off subject but... before I left in 2001, I had RMQ 1to3 under my belt. I've now re-joined and having to go through basic again BUT, will my RMQ qual still be applicable when I have the rank to go with it and, if anyone knows; what other quals I had might still be valid (Regimental signaller standard 2, Sharpshooter, skill at Arms instructor, NBC assistent instructor (God help them on that one if I still am!!!!) as well as a few others....? Thanks in anticipation :)
With the RMQ you must be "current and competent." not sure how that applies with the other quals but with any range quals I would suggest that doing the course again once you have the rank back up is no bad thing. You may be able to argue that you are still both current and compotent even with a break in service but if something goes wrong it'll all come back to bite you!

Edited to complain that I cant type fast enough while working at the same time!

I'd suggest after 8 years then no as has been said, you are no longer current but not necessarily competent. BUT, if you get loaded onto a course, (I take it it's TA you're joining) it's only 3 weekends and you will breeze it.

if it's not TA then you will no doubt need to suck up a full course at Breacon.

Latest Threads