Anyone sold a house via Purple Bricks / Yopa? How was it?

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
My old "few doors down" neighbour put her house on market about same time as me (end of Oct 17)

She went with PB - I went with local estate agent.

She paid about £850 up front, I paid about £1400 on completion.

Hers is still on market. Mine sold before Xmas.

Also - whilst house hunting myself, I'd wanted to see a couple of properties marketed by PB. Unfortunately this was extremely difficult - it took 3 phone calls about the same property to finally get told that in order to actually book a viewing I needed to register for a PB account of my own.

Even then, by the time I eventually got to registering my interest for a viewing, I had to wait for the seller to eventually come back and say "sorry I'm not doing viewings at the moment".

@The_Duke raises an interesting point. I'd personally avoid them, Yopa and Tepilo at all costs. Regardless of how big Beeny's funbags get.

I used to do a fair bit of estate agent photography, Purple bricks are known as 'purple pricks'

I'd avoid British home buyers at all costs.

I went through Purple Bricks... and got stiffed royally. Still, I got my own back on the cnut that recommended them, as I was best man at his wedding.

I'd not buy or sell property online. No one can guarantee convenience in buying or selling a house. Low costs are generated by cubicle farming, so you can't be guaranteed easy contact or quick response. Get several valuations, talk to anyone who has sold recently in your area about their experience with the agent used and mention advantageous local amenities or property qualities that even a local agent can't know. Go with offer you trust. It is well worth your work.

* Section of irrelevant wibble deleted *

I'm with theoriginalphantom on quick buy agencies - prices are lower, first offer will tie you in and once committed to the 7 day turnround, the offer will miraculously drop. A lot. At auction, you'll often still sell at a lower price than full market sale - there are fees still, but you can set a price reserve. Sale is an immediate and legally binding committment once the hammer falls with purchase finance proofs required and financial penalties should the purchaser renege. We sold a 'needs improvement' childhood home this way. It was nerve wracking on the day, it met reserve and we avoided having the bereavement rubbed in with every post-viewing snotty feedback or silly offer.

Last edited:
Sold my Welsh property via Emove, saved a packet. Did the write-up myself, same/same photographs so, in essence I was in control of the content of the listing. Showed the house to potential purchasers as I'd done a pile of structural work on it and, as far as I was concerned was the best qualified person to explain why the structural work was undertaken and, more importantly how it had been done.

As far as I was concerned all I wanted was access to the Internet listings of Rightmove/Zoopla etc, sales via newspaper 'ads and Estate Agents window displays are negligible IMHO.

Oh, yes, another reason for not using an Estate Agent: They are oxygen thieving low life scum bags - allegedly.

Glad it went as it should for you and proves that there's an exception to every rule.

I'm currently in the process of buying a fixer-upper to flip and have to ask what is it that that EA actually brings to the party apart from access to the main websites (the monopolising bastards)?

I found the property, (though I'm supposedly on several agents books as looking for a 'project' and with the exception of today have never heard anything and then the offering is an immaculate ready to move into place).
I viewed the property with the EA present.
I made the offer then the EA passed it on to the vendor.
The vendor then let the EA know they accept and then they call me to tell me.
EA asks me to prove I can afford it and then its all over to the solicitors and surveyor.

Now I cant actually see what there is in that little paragraph I cant do myself for free or at a greatly reduced cost.
When it comes to sell I think I'll be doing it myself or hiring an ad agency :)

I'm currently in the process of buying a fixer-upper to flip and have to ask what is it that that EA actually brings to the party apart from access to the main websites (the monopolising bastards)?

I found the property, (though I'm supposedly on several agents books as looking for a 'project' and with the exception of today have never heard anything and then the offering is an immaculate ready to move into place).
Thats because the EA will be notifying their preferred builder that a doer upper is available for sale (for a back hander) and then another commission when the builder sells through the EA

Archie