Anyone remember WO II John Paxton 244 Signals and 16 Parachute Brigade?

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Scotsplum, Nov 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking for information about my father who served with 244 Signals from the early 50's to the 80's, I know very little about his army life, He was a sergeant at the time of the Suez crisis in 56 and went out on Theseus, He spent a lot of years serving with the Special forces and the Para's He was in Germany in 1966, A photo of him with some of his platoon sitting on a Russian tank in Egypt recently appeared in the Sunday post. Could anybody help me find out more about his army life?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Scotsplum, I have no doubt there a couple of old and bold ARRSEr's who will have been around at that time and they may come along later to pass on some info. In the meantime I confess I don't remember him, although by the 80's I was already well into my first decade of service!!
    Have you tried the R SIGNALS Association in Blandford, or even the Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow (R SIGNALS Division)? They would almost certainly be able to help you out. Sadly, I am an IT biff and therefore unable to post links, but inevitably someone will pick this up. Good hunting.

3. As far as i remember, Kentigern House, Brown Street, Glasgow. Hope this little bit of info helps in the search.

4. Try this link, it's the Royal Signals Association page: Royal Signals Association

5. Sent the link to an old mate on FB who was in 216 during the 60/70/80's...he may know him.

6. Scotsplum - you could visit www.216parasigs.org and have a look at the pics there. I'll put your request on the guestbook and that may ring some bells woth the Old & Bold.

7. You need to speak to Historical Disclosures at APC. They charge a small fee but can dig up quite a bit if you can provide some basic details i.e name, rank on discharge, regimental number etc

8. After I posted the original request on www.216parasigs.org.uk/guestbook ... Wee Mac says he's ready to chat/e-mail about John/Jock Paxton,
    and Mal P sent me a small b&w photo which I can pass on, whenever we get an e-address or other contact.
    BT
    K

9. My 1st posting was 244SS from 77-82 based at RAF Brize Norton. It was an extremely tight/small unit of 2 troops (Alpha and Echo (plus SHQ) and we all knew each other well but I dont remember a Jock Paxton then? We did have a few "left over" para badged guys but only a few and Jock does not jump out at me over that period!

10. From what I've read on www.216parasigs.org.uk/guestbook the a/m Jock Paxton was in Radio Troop of 216 Para Sigs circa 1959/60.
    There are 1 or 2 Old Comrades who remember him from that time.

11. Hello, is your name John as well? I had a good friend called John Paxton and he had a son called John and his wife was Margaret. He was my best man in fact and we were in the Suez together. As I remember he lived somewhere east of Edinburgh (Portobello?). We spent a great deal of time together, as he was troop sergeant of the radio operators and I was troop sergeant of the radio technicians with 216 Para.

I was with the Paras from '51 to '61, with a break in the middle. If we are talking about the same chap please message me for more info if you would like to. It was him being such a Rangers fan that brought him up in conversation today!

John Paul

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mussleburgh!

13. Musselburgh? The Honest Toun? Same birthplace as me, your honour. Spooky coincidence or wot?