Anyone remember this old chocolate bar?

Slime

LE
Am I the only person who thinks that the best chocolate was the Italian stuff?

From my cadet days (chocolate had left the ration packs by the time I joined properly) I remember first it was Duncan's (OK), then Yorkie (it's not for civvies) and finally the Italian stuff, the brand of which I can't remember, for about a year or so. Then the rations went "multi-climate" and that was that for chocolate.

Quite why they couldn't give us Smarties I don't know.

Still are - you can get get Fry's Chocolate Cream, or Fry's Turkish Delight if you like your chocolate to taste like a urinal cake.
As the Fry’s factory was turned into a retirement village some time ago the ‘Fry’s’ brand is now in name only and is made abroad like other Cadbury’s chocolate................This despite Kraft promising the U.K. government they would continue the production at Keynsham if they bought the Cadburys brand.
The reality was Kraft had built a new factory in Poland to make Fry’s chocolate and already knew they were deceiving the government.

Offa

War Hero
As the Fry’s factory was turned into a retirement village some time ago the ‘Fry’s’ brand is now in name only and is made abroad like other Cadbury’s chocolate................This despite Kraft promising the U.K. government they would continue the production at Keynsham if they bought the Cadburys brand.
The reality was Kraft had built a new factory in Poland to make Fry’s chocolate and already knew they were deceiving the government.
Cadbury also relocated much of its production to Poland, as part of a cost cutting exercise, shedding around 700 jobs in UK. Friend of mine flew to Poland every week to oversee set- up.

Slime

LE
Cadbury also relocated much of its production to Poland, as part of a cost cutting exercise, shedding around 700 jobs in UK. Friend of mine flew to Poland every week to oversee set- up.
Fry’s brand is Cadbury’s.
Apologies if you weren’t saying Cadburys was a separate brand :)

Offa

War Hero
Fry’s brand is Cadbury’s.
Apologies if you weren’t saying Cadburys was a separate brand :)
Thanks for info, Slime. I was referring to the Cadbury's sites here on the Welsh Marches, one in Chirk and one in Leominster. Both still operating but reduced output, I believe.

Slime

LE
Thanks for info, Slime. I was referring to the Cadbury's sites here on the Welsh Marches, one in Chirk and one in Leominster. Both still operating but reduced output, I believe.
The Frys brand was based at the Somerdale factory in Keynsham.

It‘s likely that your friend was overseeing the set up of the polish Factory BEFORE Kraft promised to keep Fry’s production at Somerdale.

Keeping the Somerdale factory was part of a condition of the sale of Cadbury’s to Kraft, but as soon as the sale went through Kraft announced it would close Somerdale and transfer production to factories in Poland it just happened to have built 18 months earlier.

Only slightly off-topic...

Was there ever a definitive answer on the manufacturer of screech, and whether it's still available in more or less its original form?

Er... asking for a friend.

And has the taste of the chocolate suffered for it? yes greatly unfortunately!

It's a point often overlooked by people who like to think of Cadbury as a cuddly paternal company where all its happy workers lived and were looked after and provided for in Bournville model village.

Kraft/Mondelez continued a process already started by Cadbury themselves. And many years before Poland, they had set up a plant in the Republic of Ireland.

Do you ever see 3 ton Bedfords with signs in the windscreen saying “RATIONS. NO LIFTS” ?
ISTR the Ration Store truck was always a Bedford RL (or whatever superceded them) with a metal tilt painted gloss white on the inside. Saw it delivering stuff to the mess one day. The entire load consisted of a solitary 6-pack of squeezy bottles of Heinz Tomato ketchup.

Slime

LE
And has the taste of the chocolate suffered for it? yes greatly unfortunately!
The relocation is only a small part of that. The way cocoa beans are sold, and the change in recipes worldwide has had a bigger effect imho.

A similar thing is happening with fizzy soft drinks.

As Food Services Officer, I spent a couple of weeks working in the Slaughterhouse and Bakery in Aldershot. Many of you probably drove past it (St Omer Bks) and never realised what it was.

What the RLC has done to the Chef trade as well is criminal. All jokes about chefs aside, that was a deep pool of very experienced and capable folks. I have been amazed, with a few extras, what good chefs can do with a 10 man rat pack (gold tins style).

The RLC obsessional focus on rubber wheeled transport courtesy of the RCT mafia is a disgrace. Its great being able to drive up and down an autobahn all day, but if you can't track and trace your products, whats the point?
So we eventually get MJDI? ffs. So many capabilities lost (e.g. Rail).

The rot started with those stupid TRFs!

So back on topic.

I liked the chocolate, the biscuit and raisin one was quite good.
I remember the tinned 24hr ORP, that little steak and kidney pudding. The boil in the bags were much better.

Open oat flakes, pour in apple flakes, packet of sugar, choc drink powder then add hot water.
Leave whilst you cleaned wpn/shaved/polished boots or whatever. Then consume, so sweet it made your teeth itch and sugar rush like mainlining mountain dew.

FunFact - there was 4000 kcal in a 24hr ration if you ate all of it. IIRC, Arctic was 8,000.
3500 and 5500

ISTR the Ration Store truck was always a Bedford RL (or whatever superceded them) with a metal tilt painted gloss white on the inside. Saw it delivering stuff to the mess one day. The entire load consisted of a solitary 6-pack of squeezy bottles of Heinz Tomato ketchup.
RL? Would these be special squeezy glass bottles? According to wiki, the plastic bottles came out in 2002, about 20 years after the sad demise of the RL.

Bee Companeeee

Old-Salt
My next door neighbour (WO1 Master Baker who's name I have forgotten based at the RAOC Stores) in Monchengladbach in 1981/82 was the chap who set up the bakery in the Falklands using the museum bakery. He received an award for his services.
It's not all about guns and tanks in the Army!
Many years ago I was at a site where the security guard told me he was an ex WO1 Master Baker. He talked, with a real passion, non stop, about bread for about 2 hours until it was time for me to leave.

RL? Would these be special squeezy glass bottles? According to wiki, the plastic bottles came out in 2002, about 20 years after the sad demise of the RL.
No! These were upright squeezy bottles, not the upside-down bottles to which you refer.

Mattb

LE
He did say "or whatever superseeded it"

One of our ration wagons was aTK. 3 ton.

Latest Threads