Anyone remember this old chocolate bar?

Arkanstigger

War Hero
I've got 39 rat packs kicking about that probably need eating as they must be at least 10 years old now - mostly chicken tikka IIRC. boilies do not go off well.
10 years old? I didn't think they even issued them until they were about 20 years old.

I'll take any Biscuits, Fruit, AB or an oatmeal block.
Go to Tesco or Co-op, look for the gluten free stuff, see if you can find Jammy Wheels. They're a gluten free version of the jammy dodger, in a maroon packet, taste just like oatmeal blocks with a bit of jam in the middle. Lush!

Duncans. I'd never seen it before, never seen it since. Always shoved in a jacket pocket and scoffed while marching with a load and in winter. I can't picture it in summer, I always remember it being grey and cold when I had it.

I assume you mean the chicken and herbs rather than the beef, if you do then go to most supermarkets with an ethnic section as the polish bit has a chicken pate in a gold alloy tub that is as close as you will get. a back of crisp rolls for the biccies brown substitue and a squeezy cheese for those who remember the lil square primula tubs we had in there for a for a while.

for a duncans substitue then try supermarket or value chocolate. nobody does biscuit and raisin other than yorkie though.

I've got 39 rat packs kicking about that probably need eating as they must be at least 10 years old now - mostly chicken tikka IIRC. boilies do not go off well.
You potentially have a fair bit of cash there if you put them on ebay every now and again . People collect the old ones .... i know crazy ! Easy get £25 for each if them !

Chef

LE
Can't provide a picture, but I remember the old boy sharing chocolate and other bits from ww2 stocks. The whole thing was in a flat tin - I was very young and he was RAFVR so whether RAF specific stuff I don't know.

Also some oatmeal biccies
WW2 REPRODUCTION CHOCOLATE BAR For The Emergency Ration Tin image 0

Something like this?

We got them issued for DoE in the CCF I forgot to hand mine back.

Rich as a rich thing.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
You potentially have a fair bit of cash there if you put them on ebay every now and again . People collect the old ones .... i know crazy ! Easy get £25 for each if them !
My ex missus used to sell a few every now and again as I'd picked up 60 for 130 quid if memory serves then I got given a load from an afghan workup because the RQ didn;t want them back so I ended up with half a tom of light sticks and D cell batteries as well.

postage was the bugger though.

they've been stored cool so hopefully they're alright, need to test them when I do the leeds - liverpool towpath in a few weeks.

I had a taste of something from a modern rat pack the other day; halal curried chicken with dhal. That was the main meal. Like every single other item in the pack, it went into the 'brown' bin.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
10 years old? I didn't think they even issued them until they were about 20 years old.
that was the tinned ones with the can opener and soggy spangles.

and biscuits white - the inspiration for the lego brick.

I may have misremembered this but didn't Needlers chocolate bars appear very occasionally in compo packs? I think that they were a puny outfit from East Anglia. Similar to the Royal Angle Irons in that respect.

Truxx

LE
The boiled sweets, that when unwrapped fitted perfectly into the hole in the base of the Blue training grenades.
Three of the battery acid flavour ones and that was the end of the lining of the roof of your mouth,

The latest ones are just rubbish in comparison

Slime

LE
Biscuits fruit are just garibaldi's. The oatmeal block with a but of sugar was one of my favourites.

My favourite though, and i would buy them now if I could find it was the small tin of "meat paste" smeared on Biscuits brown. I don't want to know what that meat paste really was or why it did not qualify for the name pate but i loved it, thats what i ate for lunch almost every day when on ration packs.

A couple of years ago, I went into a camping shop in Amsterdam (bever on overtoom for those interested) and they had massive big bargin bins full of both biscuit browns and biscuits fruit. Original british ones but with a label stuck to them with the nutritional values in dutch.

They may still sell them, i'm down to my last packet of bb.
Is my memory playing tricks or were the biscuits fruit a bit crisper than the garibaldis, and with sugar on them too?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
remember the arctic rations with the masses of sweets in there.

some stores idiot loaded us up with them for a two week sneaky beaky because they assumed we were vehicle mounted not manpacking which meant we couldn't eat them due to the amount of water and hexy we would have needed to cook the buggers.

tried the 'Them' method of chuck it in the outer baggie with a bit of water to make a crunchy porridge and it was rank.

almost as bad as being left alone for four days and being given a four man 24hr rat pack. I mean WTF

Slime

LE
As an aside, I fancied some rat pack biscuits a while ago, had a quick look on the BCB site and the tiny packs of biscuit fruit were £3 each.

A quick trip to Amazon saw 12 large packs of garibaldis for £13 :)

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Is my memory playing tricks or were the biscuits fruit a bit crisper than the garibaldis, and with sugar on them too?
old biscuits fruit were like a UHT garibaldi

new biscuits fruit are a rock hard gingerbread with fragged raisins in..

Latest Threads