Anyone remember this old chocolate bar?

ExREME.TECH

War Hero
I was just going through some of my stuff in the loft and found this stuffed into the bottom of my old water bottle pouch.

Anyone remember these? I think I preferred the plain chocolate. Presumably they don't have these in the new rat packs?
When the military and RAF stopping buying them. In favour of a wierd coloured Rolo that the metal stuff became part of it.
They went bankrupt

ExREME.TECH

War Hero
I'll take any Biscuits, Fruit, AB or an oatmeal block.
Biscuits fruit are just garibaldi's. The oatmeal block with a but of sugar was one of my favourites.

My favourite though, and i would buy them now if I could find it was the small tin of "meat paste" smeared on Biscuits brown. I don't want to know what that meat paste really was or why it did not qualify for the name pate but i loved it, thats what i ate for lunch almost every day when on ration packs.

A couple of years ago, I went into a camping shop in Amsterdam (bever on overtoom for those interested) and they had massive big bargin bins full of both biscuit browns and biscuits fruit. Original british ones but with a label stuck to them with the nutritional values in dutch.

They may still sell them, i'm down to my last packet of bb.

We had a batch in rations with chocolate orange, and mint flavoured. It were right tasty, there was a couple of bars in each box.

Better than the plastic chocolate from Dowlais that was in the 10 man compo packs.

Ah, the joy of opening one to be let down when it turned out to look like something else that is hard to remember - white dog shit.
Cocoa butter leaching out. Quite harmless and flavourless. In the real world if you returned the item to the makers ('remembering to state where and when bought') you got a little box of their goodies by return.

I doubt if they do that anymore. Too many piss-takers.

The older here will remember that Walnut Whips were originally a Duncan line.
When they had half a walnut at the top outside and another half at the bottom inside.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Biscuits fruit are just garibaldi's. The oatmeal block with a but of sugar was one of my favourites.

My favourite though, and i would buy them now if I could find it was the small tin of "meat paste" smeared on Biscuits brown. I don't want to know what that meat paste really was or why it did not qualify for the name pate but i loved it, thats what i ate for lunch almost every day when on ration packs.

A couple of years ago, I went into a camping shop in Amsterdam (bever on overtoom for those interested) and they had massive big bargin bins full of both biscuit browns and biscuits fruit. Original british ones but with a label stuck to them with the nutritional values in dutch.

There was an online store that sells Dutch ration pouches, a bit like ours but bigger and the food weren't bad either.

They sold both types of biscuit, about 1.50 a pack if I recall.

This isn't it but they seem to stock them.

Biscuit Brown online.

The Dutch have or did have them in there ration packs.

ExREME.TECH

War Hero
Cocoa butter leaching out. Quite harmless and flavourless. In the real world if you returned the item to the makers ('remembering to state where and when bought') you got a little box of their goodies by return.

And the fact they don't exist anymore

When they had half a walnut at the top outside and another half at the bottom inside.
Yes. I could take or leave walnuts but it always seemed better getting two. Talking of nuts, didn't Topics and Snickers (Marathons) have proper big nuts in them rather than the fine nut gravel that's in them today?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer

A relative of mine used to work for a chocolate manufacturer and the “white” chocolate used to be sold to the employees. We loved it as kids and there is no real difference in taste. The only real difference in flavour comes from it being in a large metal shed for months/years exposed to heat and cold temperature fluctuations.

Rab_C

War Hero
Yes. I could take or leave walnuts but it always seemed better getting two. Talking of nuts, didn't Topics and Snickers (Marathons) have proper big nuts in them rather than the fine nut gravel that's in them today?
Topics certainly “Had a hazelnut in every bite”

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer

I assume you mean the chicken and herbs rather than the beef, if you do then go to most supermarkets with an ethnic section as the polish bit has a chicken pate in a gold alloy tub that is as close as you will get. a back of crisp rolls for the biccies brown substitue and a squeezy cheese for those who remember the lil square primula tubs we had in there for a for a while.

for a duncans substitue then try supermarket or value chocolate. nobody does biscuit and raisin other than yorkie though.

I've got 39 rat packs kicking about that probably need eating as they must be at least 10 years old now - mostly chicken tikka IIRC. boilies do not go off well.

I was just going through some of my stuff in the loft and found this stuffed into the bottom of my old water bottle pouch.

Anyone remember these? I think I preferred the plain chocolate. Presumably they don't have these in the new rat packs?
Used to get Caxton's in compo tins.

caxton0001836.jpg

Latest Threads