Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone remember this old chocolate bar?

Mattb

LE
Proper hard-tack has to be either dunked or snapped then softened in a mouthful of hot tea to make them edible.
Speaking of very hard biscuits, I remember a period where every packed lunch (which by definition didn't include any hot tea or coffee) came with a biscuit specifically intended for dunking in hot drinks.

They were actually really nice biscuits but had the consistency of concrete, and I never fancied trying to dunk them in the small bottle of mineral water supplied.

Speaking of very hard biscuits, I remember a period where every packed lunch (which by definition didn't include any hot tea or coffee) came with a biscuit specifically intended for dunking in hot drinks.

They were actually really nice biscuits but had the consistency of concrete, and I never fancied trying to dunk them in the small bottle of mineral water supplied.

McVitties Ginger Nuts spring to mind

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Just been doing a bit of searching for something I know I have but can't remember where I put it 'tidying', in a Contico box I found these....
1601212911074.jpeg

Along with this, which I think is the issue suncream - or it could be the yank insect repellent
1601212990284.jpeg

1601213036141.jpeg

Oh, and a junglie doss bag!

Didn't find the climbing rope though.... :(

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Well it'll be the suncream then - i'm not going to 'investigate' it any further, it's been sat there since at least 2009, possibly earlier - who knows what chemicals it's evolved into? off to the Hazchem container black wheelie bin it goes!

Just been doing a bit of searching for something I know I have but can't remember where I put it 'tidying', in a Contico box I found these....
View attachment 507734
Along with this, which I think is the issue suncream - or it could be the yank insect repellent

Oh, and a junglie doss bag!

Didn't find the climbing rope though.... :(

There still choc in the wrappers? Presumably they're all white by now.

Well it'll be the suncream then - i'm not going to 'investigate' it any further, it's been sat there since at least 2009, possibly earlier - who knows what chemicals it's evolved into? off to the Hazchem container black wheelie bin it goes!
Was that the stuff that melted any plastic it came in contact with?

ste14w

Old-Salt
A 58 pattern mug full of tea, an oatmeal block covered in Jam, Strawberry, and fried compo sausages. The sort of breakfast that Empires are built on.

ugly

LE
No, it was the insect repellent that glued your cheek to the SA80.
Mossie rep ate a hole in the mag housing of my AR15, that and sweat pooling in the pocket made there by the web of my thumb and forefinger of my left hand!

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
There still choc in the wrappers? Presumably they're all white by now.
Yer, still got the contents in 'em - hesitate to describe it as 'chocolate' though...
What suprises me is that they're still there, I don't eat chocolate so it'd either be used for swaps, bribes, thrown at local kids, or, if it made it back to Blighty, sniffed out and consumed by my two lads

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Ooohh... a red one. Weren't they the rare ones that had raisins & biscuits in the chocolate?
The red ones are just chocolate
The raisin & biscuit were the blue ones.....

As pictured in the original post of this very thread ;)

Type 66

Old-Salt
Duncan's closed in 2003 but I believe chocolate to their recipe is produced by Geraldo's of Largs. It'll be much more expensive (especially considering you used to get it free).

Biscuits Brown and the chicken/herb paste were the snack of choice for me.

Only on ex mind, back in barracks or bimbling round normal civvies I'd explosively vomit in the face of terrified old ladies if I tried it.

Nothing to do with copious amounts of ale, no siree bob.

Latest Threads