Anyone remember 21 Sig Regt Osnabruck?

Did anyone serve in Osnabruck, 21 Sig Regt circa 1982-87? I think there were J Tp (230 Sqn Puma), I Tp (19 Sqn Chinook) and some random Ptarmigan Sqn that supported the RAF Harriers in hides throughout pre-positioned hides in Germany. Then of course we moved to Wildenrath to the delights of the WRAF and some ground force action!

My old man Staff Sergeant Robert Oliver would have been there around then I did a bit of research into him.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Edited to prevent myself being lynched for murdering the Queen's English.

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Did anyone serve in Osnabruck, 21 Sig Regt circa 1982-87? I think there were J Tp (230 Sqn Puma), I Tp (19 Sqn Chinook) and some random Ptarmigan Sqn that supported the RAF Harriers in hides throughout pre-positioned hides in Germany. Then of course we moved to Wildenrath to the delights of the WRAF and some ground force action!
The random mob were based at Scarborough Bks.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I spent two years in Osnabruck from1968-70. If someone could be so good as to tell me what happened in that period I would be grateful.........it would be nice to fill in that period in my memory bank! :D

I spent two years in Osnabruck from1968-70. If someone could be so good as to tell me what happened in that period I would be grateful.........it would be nice to fill in that period in my memory bank! :D

You can't have been suffering from Dementia that long :lol:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I spent three years in Osnabruck, 82-85. The RAF bombed it.

Actually to be fair, they had bombed it about 40 years earlier: they only found the bombs while I was there.

i spent three years in Osnabruck, 82-85. The RAF bombed it.

Actually to be fair, they had bombed it about 40 years earlier: they only found the bombs while I was there.
Iirc my brother was at Scarborough Barracks then.

Dodesheide , summer of 1984 they found a live one in the woods at the side of the Friedhof on Dodeshausweg.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Iirc my brother was at Scarborough Barracks then.

Dodesheide , summer of 1984 they found a live one in the woods at the side of the Friedhof on Dodeshausweg.
Correct. A week or so later they found a second near the estate warden's office. After all the flak they'd had evacuating families the first time, I heard they scooped it into a Land Rover and mag to gridded. Zero Alpha's mum suggested there'd have been three bombs in the stick ...

Edit.
Notices cap badge. Were you at 12 Armoured? I paid you.

Correct. A week or so later they found a second near the estate warden's office. After all the flak they'd had evacuating families the first time, I heard they scooped it into a Land Rover and mag to gridded. Zero Alpha's mum suggested there'd have been three bombs in the stick ...

Edit.
Notices cap badge. Were you at 12 Armoured? I paid you.[/
QUOTE]

The first evacuation they all ended up in Mercer Barracks , Green Howards Cpls Mess iirc. The one next to the Estate Office they dug up with a JCB fecked it into a flatbed of some sort and buggered off. The Missus and her mate watched it from the comfort of the MQ kitchen.......and no I wasn't 12 Armd . 39 Sqn , 23 Eng Regt first in Roberts Barracks then moved to Quebec .1983 -86

Does anyone or did anyone remember alpha troop and or the order of the boot?

I'm trying to learn more about my uncle.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I was at Osnabruck 77-79 at Quebec Barracks. Shared Camp with 1bn Staffs, then 3 Para. 73 Independent Fd Sqn RE occupied the top end of the camp. When I went there, we were 12 Mech Bde HQ & Sig San and then reformed to 5 Fd Force HQ & Sig San. Best pub in town was the Saskatchewan Bar until the Argyll and Bolton Wanderers decided to have a battle royal with 3 Para and 7 RHA! Needless to say, airborne won that one!

I was there 65 to 67, lovely place, and Osnabruck was just the right size, it even had an Opera House, how posh is that. (212 Sig Sqn Quebec Barracks).
\

Latest Threads