Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

ANYONE RECOGNISE THIS CHAPPIE

Flyingrockdj

War hero
The one in no 2's

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn/Forums/viewtopic/t=15503/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=470.html

He lost his arm in the Falklands, alledgedly.
Did he do the APC before or after?

start=470.html

Flyingrockdj,

Keeping the conversation in the 'aviation forum' as the int cell thread seems to be going away from it now, looking at the picture and adding 2+2 and getting something which is pretty much somewhere around the 3-5 area, this is what I reckon, (for what its worth!), as far as the AAC side of things go.

It was you who said, "Notice as well that they are not stricktly the correct Army Pilots badge either as you buy a nicey gold Embroydered set for your Numbers 2's."

If one isn't prepared to buy the embroidered set of No2 wings, then it is perfectly acceptable to wear the normal cloth version.

If this guy lost his arm in the Falklands then I would be extremely surprised to learn that he did the course after '82. In fact, I'm sure we would all have heard of him. Very much in the Douglas Bader league of things!!

So I conclude that if he is entitled to wear the Army Flying badge, he did the course before the Falklands War and reverted back to a ground role after his flying tour which was pre-'82.

As for the medals, well, your guess is as good as mine, although he could have earnt the GSM and UN medals prior to 82. In relation to the order of medals, in GT a couple of years ago there was a right hoo haa about medal positionings. Everybodies were different and we all had an opinion! So if 'Para Mate' has been out of the loop for a while, that could perhaps be why. (As for the HK medal, where do you get them from? :wink: )

Looking at it again, it could be a 'Father and Son' picture and the badge above the stripes could be an 'R' badge!

So in conclusion, perhaps he is pukka. After all, he does look a bit 'pastey!'

Hope you all enjoyed todays weather.
8)
SS

No it would appear that he is a walter, he's been parading around like this for 12 + years and only fessed up when approached by a serving Member of 1 who then did some research.

Pretty amazing, I mean who would want to wear a ginger drinking suit when out any way!

Just followed the thread onto Ex Parachute Regiment & Airborne Forces Web Site at http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/ex_para/vpost?id=438910&trail=50 .

To save the linkage, here is what he says;

"To all ex and serving Airborne,

No doubt my name will bring some distain to most of you people, I dont want to give you a long drawn out boring explanation, just a few facts. First and foremost, I sincerely apologise for pertaining to be part of the parachute regiment and for the lies I told. I told a story 12 years ago to a lady in spain and low and behold that lady became my wife. I never did tell her the truth and as the years went on so did the story. I have explained in detail to most of the people and intensly to Jock Love. I was very stupid and wrong for what I did, and I am deeply ashamed f myself. I upset and hurt a lot of people, I now realise this had to come to an end. I am not looking for any sympathy because i know I dont deserve it, and every word that has been said about me is deserved. But I feel that I do owe you all an apology, I cannot turn back the clock, my God I wish I could, I can only go on and warn any other wannabees out there that it isnt worth it, and if you tell a story to impress afemale, leave it were it belongs. Back in the bar. Once again, I sincerly appologise to you all.

Barry Simkins."

It would seem old Barry Simkins, if that is his real name, has a lot of unhappy paras wanting a word in his shell like.

Now this all reminds me of a certain Airtrooper back in Detmold, mid 80's who went to a wedding and wore 1's with tapes, observers badge and para wings. Not of this hemisphere originally. Last I heard he is now quite high up in the ranks! 8O
(just found his picture in the Oct-Dec 2004 'AAC Newsletter incorporating Hawkeye'!)

SilsoeSid said:
Now this all reminds me of a certain Airtrooper back in Detmold, mid 80's who went to a wedding and wore 1's with tapes, observers badge and para wings. Not of this hemisphere originally. Last I heard he is now quite high up in the ranks! 8O
(just found his picture in the Oct-Dec 2004 'AAC Newsletter incorporating Hawkeye'!)

MMmmmmmm, me thinks your talking about the chap who also went to MCTC for nicking anything in the block that wasn't screwed/super glued/concreted to the floor/walls. I too noticed him in the newsletter and was gobbed smacked. Still, a spell in there is supposed to do wonders.

Respect where it's due though lads. He got away with his walting for 12 years. Saying that though, the RAF have done a good job impersonating being part of the military for years!