Anyone own a Garmin Forerunner GPS watch?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by re-stilly, Jan 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking to by a GPS watch for monitoring routes, times etc and this one seems quite common, question is are they any good and would you recommend one?
  2. I got a 305 for under £100 from amazon and I love it. Big simple screen, I can choose what it tells me, and if you can be bothered to programme it properly, it can also guide you around your route. Only drawback is that it takes a while to acquire the GPS signal.

My training (and racing) is considerably better for it.
  3. Thanks Alfred, was not sure if they were worth it or not, am just starting longer runs and want something that will help with times and mapping.
  4. My missus uses one. Very pleased with it and the Garmin website that logs her runs etc.
  5. I used the software that came with it - a bit basic, but then I know where I'm running, I just wanted to view times/effort etc.

If you want one that tells you to turn left/right/go ahead I suspect there are better ones on the market.
  6. I've just bought the soleus 1.0, basic gps watch, pretty happy with it for what I need, time distance and pace, only down fall your unable to upload your runs
  7. If you're only after mapping and timing and have a Blackberry or iPhone then GPSed Pro is well worth the tenner. I use mine for running and hiking, easy to upload to the web and you can choose to share it publicly or not.
  8. I have runtastic on my blackberry and it is OK but it isn't visible if in my back pocket
  9. For logging walks and runs I sold my garmin because for me my phone does a better job using the FREE android app MAP MY RUN.

If you need the convenience of glimpsing at your wrist for directions etc then stick with the Forerunner, cadence monitoring helps with the accuracy of the workout with Garmin. the map my run program uses the mapping info for altitude changes etc.
  10. I've got Imapmyrun (linked to the website mapmyrun) for android phone (they do an Iphone app as well). I have GPS on, but works fine picking up wifi signals. It is accurate and I suppose it depends how often you look at it. The app can tell you every mile (possibly less) how far you've covered, your time so far, average speed and average pace per mile.
    Good item, unless you feel the urge to look at it every 10 secs or so.

Edited to add: Beat me to it Bollockchops! I suppsoe you could get a mobile holder that has a clear front as well, just raise your arm, unlock the screen adn it's there. You can play your tunes and then go in to the app, best of both worlds (doesn't go through that much battery for both apps running either)
  11. I use a 310xt and it's brilliant,very accurate and simple to use,google D.C.Rainmaker for a lot more info mate.
  12. Im afraid that the expensive garmin and polar type gps watches have had it now that free mobile phone apps are available. I fancied one of the the forerunner watches as well but against a free app its a no brainer.

I use endomondo on my blackberry, its free and ten seconds after pressing stop on the phone it will have uploaded to the web with graphs maps and more.

Having said that I have mates who have forerunners etc and they swear by them, horses for courses, only drawback apart from the price is the size of the garmins, if you have a thin wrist they are a bit big.
  13. I hate mapmyrun on my iphone.

As an indication, I'll be checking my garmin every 30 secs or so for the first 4 or 5 mins of a race (to stop the mad chicken rush) and then I'll look at it every half mile or so. There maybe some runner who know exactly what a 6:55 pace feels over lots of different types of terrain, I'm not one of them. I couldn't have got my PBs on my 2.4km (8:47) or 10 miles (68:44) without it.
  14. I would highly recommend a Garmin. The software is fairly basic but I understand that there are other compatible versions you can download.
  15. I have a Garmin 410 and think it's great - has helped my running no end, and also keeps my geeky little brain happy. Tried the phone app crap, and wouldn't use that, it's a PITA and the Garmin gives you loads more. Would echo the recommendation to google DC Rainmaker, he tests and blogs most GPS watches that come onto the market. Well worth a read before parting with your hard earned.