Anyone opened a bank account in the Republic of Ireland, but signed forms in the UK?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Bravo_Bravo, May 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For business reasons I need to open a Euro account in the RoI.

I've been trying to find a bank in England that has a tie-in with an Irish bank so that I can sign the forms in England, saving a trip to the RoI.

I just can't find a bank that can do this, so would appreciate a heads-up if anyone has been down this road before.

TIA

B_B

2. I have a current account with the Bank of Ireland, however, I was a resident over there when I opened it. I had to supply proof of address within the RoI and supply them with a PPS number. (Similar to our National Insurance number)

Back home in the UK now, but I have kept the RoI account open, (I still have money being paid into it) and like you, I couldn't find a UK based bank that has any tie ins, but I have heard that although it takes longer, (credit checks on your UK bank take fecking ages) you can open an Irish account with a UK address, but you will have to visit an Irish bank in person.

It was all a bit of a 'mare initially mate.

3. Allied Irish, if memory serves me correctly, have a branch in Berkley Square. Unsurprisingly they also have, or certainly used to have, one in Kilburn.
    Look up the web site of both Allied Irish and B of I, they should have their UK branches listed. Open the account in the UK then transfer it to the Republic.

4. Allied Irish are also in Uxbridge in West London. I don't have a clue about opening a ROI bank account though.

5. Bank of Ireland operations in NI are under Bank of Ireland UK; you could worse than give them a go

6. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Ulster Bank operate on both sides of the border and are part of (IIRC) RBS group.

7. As others have said to open an account in a bank in the Republic you must visit the branch with passport / driving licence and proof of address (a domestic bill) - to comply with money laundering legislation.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

8. I have a LLoyds TSB offshore Euro account. Forms etc completed in UK can take sterling and euro payments in, use it in Germany

9. ^ Jesey, Guernsey, Isle of Mann only, but thanks

10. Ahh LLoyds TSB is Isle of Man

Tel No 08458501850

Address:

LLoyds TSB Offshore Ltd
    PO Box 12 Pereril Buildings
    Peveril Square
    Douglass
    Isle of Man
    IM99 1SS