Anyone met this utter cumper yet?

Ffs it shouldn't be possible to sharpen a cheese sandwich (or any other kind of bread based snack)

If you had served you would know what fresh rations were, (vegies, fresh meat etc.,, yes and bread ) and no you never tried the bread or you would know how very good the quality was and baked fresh every day.

On exercise, a tented static field kitchen, ACC best scran ever, especially in winter, especially in BAOR, especially when freezing cold, wet, dangerously tired, and monumentally pissed off................. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Last edited:
From a service perspective in the infantry, fresh rations to me was anything that didn’t come in a 24hr ration pack. Ergo it could turn up in the cookhouse on a hot plate or wherever and without making any distinction whether the baked beans had come out of a tin from the cookhouse storeroom and whether they were different from the eggs or bacon etc being freshly fried, it was all “fresh rations”.

Always found RAOC bread in BAOR pretty good, always went well with all in stew or those egg banjos at 3 in the morning.
. . . or, at Oh Christ Is That The Time having returned from dancing The W Belfast 2-Step for a couple of wet, cold hours, to be confronted with warm RAOC rolls filled with bacon and a fat fried egg.

Hero Food . . . as long as the egg dripped down your jacket.

I think RAOC bread deserves its own thread (if it hasn’t already got one - I can’t be arrsed looking).

I could never work out the system of days on the wrappers. Was it the day it was baked? Or an ‘eat by’ recommendation?

If you got Tuesday bread on a Thursday was it two days old or suitable for eating until the following Monday? I remember being told both by slop jockeys.

I also never met anyone who claimed to be an RAOC baker. Were they indeed RAOC? Or did the ACC do the baking and the RAOC did the distribution?

Sorry for the thread drift.
It was baked by RAOC. I met at least two blokes who were bakers, started RAOC by then RLC. I always thought that their bread was good.

Chorleywood method???
It was Chorleywood method bread. Were you a baker? Chorleywood is a fast rise bread made by adding vitC, fats and emulsifiers to the mechanically mixed dough to promote a much faster rise. 90% of UK bread is this type.

Last edited:

woger wabbit

War Hero
It was Chorleywood method bread. Were you a baker? Chorleywood is a fast rise bread made by adding vitC, fats and emulsifiers to the mechanically mixed dough to promote a much faster rise. 90% of UK bread is this type.
thank you for that, I learn something new every day.

woger wabbit

War Hero
On exercise, a tented static field kitchen, ACC best scran ever, especially in winter, especially in BAOR, especially when freezing cold, wet, dangerously tired, and monumentally pissed off................. Don't knock it until you've tried it.
Been there, done it many times, loved the fresh bread delivered daily by Wessex.

woger wabbit

War Hero
I don't doubt it was baked fresh every day, however on arrival at a unit it would appear to have been stored for some time after being baked.
Days were mentioned, not the week, month or year.

Bread should not snap or shatter. It shouldn't be possible to threaten someone with a sharpened cheese sandwich.
Fine, enough talk about the wonderful RAOC bread.

woger wabbit

War Hero
I don't doubt it was baked fresh every day, however on arrival at a unit it would appear to have been stored for some time after being baked.
Days were mentioned, not the week, month or year.

Bread should not snap or shatter. It shouldn't be possible to threaten someone with a sharpened cheese sandwich.
If that is your experience I think we should leave it there, thank you for your input.

edited to correct spelling error

Sir Ian Michael Francis Arnold GCVO KBE QGM . That is all.

Latest Threads