Anyone looking for an impossible project to keep them busy??

Discussion in 'REME' started by Cavalier, Sep 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone interested in a project to rival the valiant Everest attempt earlier this year?

I'm putting a team of 3 cars (Fiat Pandas) together to take part in the Mongol Rally in July/August 2007.

10,000 miles from London to Mongolia in a car with an engine size no greater than 1 litre!! So, where we can't change the size of the engine, there's nothing in the rule book to say we can't make other mods!!

Anyone want to take up the overhauling project and be a part of history? I'm hoping to get the backing from my Unit, but failing that, we'll be going it alone. This years rally saw two lads from the RAF Regiment cross the line first.

The more effort put in, the more publicity we may be able to produce.

PM or visit HERE for more details.
  2. Wow, looks like great fun. Screw all those rich assholes in their $200,000 cars doing the Gumball. I'd love to do something like day. I don't know jack about mechanics (yet) and I think I'm gonna be a bit busy around that time next year.

But good luck and I hope it goes well.
  3. Take a gander at the site (pay special attention to the facts and figures pages) 3 teams were chased by armed bandits!!!

The whole idea is to take a really crappy car, do it up a little and see how far you get!! This year only 14 out of 43 cars made it to the finishing line.

If anyone's interested in either taking the car(s) and working some REME magic on them, or even putting in a team/driver/co-driver let me know :)
  4. Just recently discovered the mongol rally on t'internet, and thinking of doing it in 2012. How did yours go?
  5. Up for this, definately
  6. There is a chap that went to Mongolia in a converted unimog. I'll see if I can find his website. It'd take a hell of a lot of money to do that distance.
  7. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I have done Kathmandu twice, way back in the 70s and again in the 80s, great fun but a hell of a drive first time in Army landy second time in Isuzu Trooper
  8. I remember you posting the pictures. How long did it take?
  9. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

The first time in 77 it took about a month, but that was because we were sightseeing along the way, when I did it in the Isuzu it took about three weeks by the more Southerly route to avoid Afghanistan, the main problem was the paperwork, insurance ect and the Carnet de Passage, for Pakistan and India
  10. Cheers. That's a hell of a lot of leave assuming everything went to plan
  11. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

It was regimental adventure training for three months to get to Mt Everest, the second time I was a civvi and paid my own way, but it still cost a ruddy fortune, but I really wanted to have a good swan around India, and used an Isuzu long wheelbase van, fitted out as a camper van, because of the spare parts situation, no prob getting them in the East, unlike Landrover.
  12. Siberia and Mongolia 2004.
    Might be something of use on that link. I think i'd have to wait until I retire to do such a trip.