Anyone left?

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by old_fat_and_hairy, Jan 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Having just heard the news that another fellow rifleman has marched off to the final rv ( at regulation pace, naturally) I now - officially - know more people who are dead than alive!

Being of advancing years myself, this is quite depressing, and I just wonder if anyone is still alive. Still, I rather like funerals. Much easier than weddings. No present to buy, no need to look as if one is having fun, no pondering over what to wear ( the standby suit and regimental tie always works) and with a bit of luck, the widow looks good in black and may need consoling.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

They're not dead. They're just telling you that so you stop calling them.

• Like Like x 6
  3. My poor brother in law went just last week. Ex National Service Sgt Royal Lincolns Malaya to me (the same age) he always seemed indestructible. Typical of his squaddie humour, as his coffin left the church, a record boomed out dear old Vera Lynn singing "Wish me Luck as you waive me Goodbye!" Last Post, Regtl Flag lowered. Honours accorded.

• Like Like x 1
  4. who's gone fella

5. It's weird isn't it how marriages and deaths comes in cycles. As the younger friends/relatives get older you get a few years of being invited to weddings. Conversely, as the older ones get older you spend a few years attending funerals.

What IS certain is that everyone's time will come and in fact my younger friends are indeed anticipating the funeral years.

***** the lot of em, I'm only 15 :frustrated:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ken Ambrose??

A real Green Jacket legend. I mentioned his passing in a different thread on here the other day. I knew him when he was colour serjeant of the recce platoon in 1RGJ back in the 70's. In later years, he was a driving force behind the RGJ association internet branch and as such, prominent in bringing many old mates back into contact with each other again. His funeral is tomorrow. He will be missed by many.

Swift and Bold!

• Like Like x 2
  7. just found out, deeply saddening indeed.
    swift and bold

8. msr

msr LE

You forgot the free food/drink and the tenner the c**t owes you. But perhaps that is because your memory is failing ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. In 2010 I think I had a season ticket at the local crem, not sure how many served but most would have been old enough to have done national service. Now apart from a few of my friends and rellies I'm in the next batch, hopefully I'll go to more of theirs before they come to mine.

10. Ken Ambrose is being buried Today (Friday 25th)

11. It was sad to hear the news of Ken's untimely death.
    I never met him but we exchanged emails a few times.He was
    always helpful with my queries.

He did a terrific job on the RGJA website over a long period.

12. My elder brother is Ex-RGJ.

Not that interesting a fact but (and this is something I still can not understand all these years later) he left because his then wife wouldnt go with him when he was posted to Hong Kong (this was late 70s early 80s) and the dozy **** PVRd and then stayed married to the bitch for another 15 years.

God my brother was stupid, hope its not genetic.

13. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Name not readable, pm me, I may have known him. My dates overlap with his