Anyone know where I can find a para silk hammock?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by grandpa, Jan 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Answers either in here please, or to my email address, which you can do through my profile.

I know they come in different sizes, but I'm in need so will consider any.

2. HM Supplies (Aldershot, Catterick) for bog-standard cheap job (better than the issued one ?), they were used to the blokes taking in HD canopies and having kit made (shell-suits and hammocks) that they are knocking out their own now.

Or try for his own design, which is expensive but he's had the confidence to put his reputation on it.

You can also get the one with the 'snakeskin' cover/treehugger straps and the sewn-in mosi-net from Silvermans (and a few other places, can't remember off the top of my head) for around £100, it's probably one of the few items Silvermans do not overcharge for and it's probably your best bet. Tactically it's a mare to get out of in a hurry (entry/exit through a velcro sealed 'fanny'), but if you're tactical you're hard routine and not using hammocks anyway.
  3. try becketts they do one for twenty quid which is good.
  4. Get yourself some of this

Then find your nearest chandlers or heavy duty machinest (try point zero at the RBL buisness park at Tidworth)

Draw what you want turn and pin the fabric, chalk where you want it sewing, keep it simple.

Suggest a double turnover of 2 inches at head and foot which creates a tunnel to thread your cord through.

Ensure heavy duty thread is used and corners are bartacked/zig zagged

Add two lengths of 1100lb cord + 2 halfs of a squash ball/knots to stop water running down hamoc.

Simple hamock for less than £20 :wink:
  5. Mr Webster I applaud your improvisation skills, there is a lucrative second career awaiting your good self as the Technical Advisor for I'm A Nobody Get Me Out Of Here :D :wink:

The place I couldn't remember was thebunkerdirect and it's called a Hennessey hammock for those who want the Roll-Royce and can't be arrsed to get it on with a few feet of parasilk and the rest of it :wink:
  6. On the same note - how much weight can one of these hold. I have never used a hammock before, am quite interested in getting one, and I am quite big (19 stone) and wouldn't want to end up on my arrse for my efforts.

7. There are two different types of the hennessey hammock, one is supposedly for heavier users but is also slightly larger sized. I'm 16 stone and have no prob's with either, the 'home-made' one I bought from a mate (made from HD canopy in the Shot) I never felt safe in. Partially melting the paracord holding it up by rubbing DEET into it probably didn't help ?!

I think the Ray Mears one will be OK as well.
  8. Harry - Very funny mate. I have done a little bit of jumping (albeit on a MSP!!) :D . The other problem I have is that I am 6'4" - would I fit in lengthways?
  9. Does anyone do a good solid hammock with a BUG NET built in?
  10. Im 6ft 2 and have no problems, but mines is made to meausure by pink fairies rigging when they were in the shot, still going strong 12 years later ,although I have replaced the cord a few times, If your off to the jungle take a bivvy bag as you can get just as wet from the up splash when its pissin down, also worth having a short back roll mat to make the hammoc a bit more comfy and for hard routine or if your river x ing as well a therma rest is handy.
  11. Harry - good tips, thanks for the gen :D
  12. Also place mat inside bivi bag or doss bag to stop it moving

Gook - the hennessey one has a sewn-in net

... fook me I sound like I'm selling the bleeding things innit :roll:
  13. Can you get one with a sewn-on bug net or do you have to rig a net separately?

I fcuking hate mozzies!