Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know what these are?

The amount of materials and production capacity that went into making JATO bottles was quite mad.

Consider that "only" 200,000 Sidewinders have been built with a motor giving 40kNseconds compared to 250,000 of those bottles each of 67.5kNseconds...

Where were they used? I know the Blue Angels C-130 support uses JATO but I gain the impression that is almost part of the show.

Where were they used? I know the Blue Angels C-130 support uses JATO but I gain the impression that is almost part of the show.

Extensively on Antarctic support ops on the LC-130D/H. Had to get the nose ski off the ground first though before firing the bottles or they'd just auger the nose into the ice. Chile and Pakistan also used JATO on their Herks.

But late-model 130H and all the 130J omitted the JATO mounting point and reinforcement. So the new Fat Albert will never do a JATO take-off at a show.

Also were used quite a lot by the Albatross amphibians of the USAF until they were retired in the 1970s

However the vast majority of JATO bottles were stockpiled until the solid fuel went out of its rated life. There is an effort to refit the Antarctic Herks with eight-bladed props to obtain enough thrust to remove the need for JATO now that they're time-expired.

Last edited:
...There is an effort to refit the Antarctic Herks with eight-bladed props to obtain enough thrust to remove the need for JATO now that they're time-expired.

Why is that? Plenty of room to build runways and no shortage of power at those temps. We were hitting max torque with the throttles not yet at crossover down there.

Even at idle we had to be careful of rolling away.

* For you un-educated northern monkeys, Eel pie island is in the Thames, at Twickenham. Every days a school day on Arrse. ( Gawd bless yer guv, yer a toff")

Met Trevor Baylis CBE there, he showed my GF and I around his pad.

Fascinating. "Oh, isn't that a pic of you with Nelson Mandela?"

Latest Threads