Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know what these are?

No it isn't, Twickenham's a rugby ground.
[windup]
Also home of Alexander Pope... wasp of twickenham.
As for Eel Pie Island - a famous recording studio, and a decent pub nearby, where I once shared a few pints with Roger Daltrey, and we talked about cars.

The building in Twickenham was originally a 1960s boathouse, its riverside location allowed Pete Townshend to commute there by boat, having lost his driving licence.[3] From 1981 the studios were run as a commercial operation and were the location for a number of notable rock and pop recordings. Artists who recorded at Eel Pie Studios include Pete Townshend, The Who, A-ha, Rachel Fuller, Siouxsie and the Banshee, Thin Lizzy and Michael Cuthbert. In the 1990s, the studio was occupied by the band Cocteau Twins, who called it September Sound, and The Lightning Seeds.

As for Eel Pie Island - a famous recording studio, and a decent pub nearby, where I once shared a few pints with Roger Daltrey, and we talked about cars.

The building in Twickenham was originally a 1960s boathouse, its riverside location allowed Pete Townshend to commute there by boat, having lost his driving licence.[3] From 1981 the studios were run as a commercial operation and were the location for a number of notable rock and pop recordings. Artists who recorded at Eel Pie Studios include Pete Townshend, The Who, A-ha, Rachel Fuller, Siouxsie and the Banshee, Thin Lizzy and Michael Cuthbert. In the 1990s, the studio was occupied by the band Cocteau Twins, who called it September Sound, and The Lightning Seeds.
Do you think those bands would be up for a Reunion?

I know Eel Pie island very well. My family come from near by.

I used to work as a barman and cook in the Barmy Arms which faces Eel Pie Island. Great boozer.

And I used to go to gigs in the Eel Pie Hotel until a bunch of hippies burned it down. Canutes.

The studios are not on the island. They are just upstream in Ranelagh Drive, In fact they are not anywhere nowadays. Pete Townshend does/did live a few doors down from the boozer.

Attachments

• detail-of-jato-bottles-attached-to-a-lc-130-also-called-a-ski-herc-BFX994.jpg
    detail-of-jato-bottles-attached-to-a-lc-130-also-called-a-ski-herc-BFX994.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 84
So which way are those pointing? What end are we looking at?

The fore-end is the wheel-like device, which is nothing more exciting than the handle/stand. The squib and igniter screwed in at the centre of that. The hot blow stuff goes out the other end, 1000lb thrust for 15 seconds. Solid-fuel, not throttleable and once she was lit she kept blowing till she was done.

Aerojet 15-KS-1000, over a quarter-million produced up until the 1990s.

The old Sondrestrom AFB? JATO bottles, as Sticky847 says. Some of them are Bigga than others, but all used to help USAF C-130s get Holm after visiting...

We had a Sodastream too but the cylinders were slightly different.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Last edited:
No need to go all Sheppey on me mate, I'm off down the lane, for some Eel pie!*

* For you un-educated northern monkeys, Eel pie island is in the Thames, at Twickenham. Every days a school day on Arrse. ( Gawd bless yer guv, yer a toff")

Isn't Eel Pie Island the place that the inventor of the clockwork radio (amongst many other bits devices) whose name escapes me at the moment and has all day... Aggh! just came to mind, Trevor Bayliss, calls home?

Trevor Bayliss - cricketer.

Trevor Baylis was the inventor.

Happy to be corrected, I was relying on my sh*te brain.
I will try to remember but the b*st*rd prevents me. At least the rum helped me to almost get there.
Thank you for putting some vaguely conscious part of my cognisance at ease.
Also, prompted by your use of the past tense, I now find that he is no longer with us.
Apologies but such correct nuances of language mean so much when a person has real difficulty and now my faculties are failing so apologies, I can't finish this.
Anywat, thanks.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Last edited:
The amount of materials and production capacity that went into making JATO bottles was quite mad.

Consider that "only" 200,000 Sidewinders have been built with a motor giving 40kNseconds compared to 250,000 of those bottles each of 67.5kNseconds...

The amount of materials and production capacity that went into making JATO bottles was quite mad.

Consider that "only" 200,000 Sidewinders have been built with a motor giving 40kNseconds compared to 250,000 of those bottles each of 67.5kNseconds...
Wouldn't a Sidewinder-assisted take-off be quite dangerous?

Latest Threads