Anyone know of Denel

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by ooooh_matron, Aug 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone in the Arms industry got an opinion on Denel (South Africa) as an employer?

2. they have dodgy accents.
  3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Hope this helps.
  4. They manufacture some good gear. Heavily supported by BOSS. Google up Dr. Vernon Joynt who was their Chief Scientist for explosives in the 90's. Give him my regards if you meet him.
  5. Cheers Matt, and particularly Ravers!
  6. I thought he worked for Mechem, which was part of CSIR?

Edited to add:

Just remembered Mechem was once of Denel's acquisitions in the 90's...
  7. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

I used to buy from them regularly in the late 80's and early 90's - was then dominated by the Afrikaner mafia - which are probably still there but cut back a bit and replaced by the affirmative action mafia.

SA has some of the most liberal labour laws on the planet - so if you get in just check your contract carefully and enjoy the ride.
  8. OM,

A good friend did some consultancy work with them in SA. His observations were that they were a long way behind Europe and US in terms of all-arms doctrine and what kit to implement it with, but were very willing to learn. (And they produce some very good kit in its own right.)

I think it would depend very much on what role you might have with them - going by my friend's experience, if it's advising on what kit to use to implement doctrine then you might be on to a winner. If it is the nuts and bolts of rockets and missiles you may be up against some very competent competition.

Denel is a BEE (Black Economic Empowerment) company so it's possible you could find yourself disadvantaged if you are not black and South African.
  9. Thanks to everyone who has posted. Good to know some of the internal politics.

10. It's a while since I had direct contact with Denel - in them far gone days they were full of Afrikaaners desperately looking to get out of the company and RSA - because they thought they could guess the tea-leaf readings! However I have a contact who will be able to give us an immediate and pretty informed view. Before I interrogate her, do you want to PM me some background?
  11. Cheers Cuddles.
  12. Yup
  13. BEE stands for Ban Europeans Entirely. Be warned!
  14. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Pale males over 40 will be rather an endangered species on the ground.

Of course pale males over 40 are what is needed to make things work so expect cock ups.
    • Like Like x 1