Anyone know of a good removal firm / man with van in Swinton?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I need a dining table and chairs brought up (table is heavy as ****). Struggling to find anyone that can do it for less than the stuff cost to buy.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Yes, yes, I know, I'd normally craft my own artisanal dining table but I'm trying to keep the pressure off the NHS.

Apologies for stating the obvious, but rent a van y'self. Look at a national chain doing a one way rental, meaning you catch a train down and drive back. You should be able to convince those where you are collecting it from to help you load it, and grab a couple of mates when you get back to help unload.

When I have done similar, being only half porridge wog mind, I have ridden my bicycle to the railway station, then used it to ride to the van rental place at the other end.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Apologies for stating the obvious, but rent a van y'self. Look at a national chain doing a one way rental, meaning you catch a train down and drive back. You should be able to convince those where you are collecting it from to help you load it, and grab a couple of mates when you get back to help unload.

When I have done similar, being only half porridge wog mind, I have ridden my bicycle to the railway station, then used it to ride to the van rental place at the other end

I've priced it up already and it doesn't make any financial sense unfortunately. Van hire for one day is £200, fuel on top plus my time which has a value to it (because I'm valuable).

You're also presuming I have friends. :D

I think I've found someone for a part load now and as they're going via Edinburgh I can get them to scoop some other stuff on the way.

Cheers!

Gone2ratshat

Old-Salt
Think your van hire company is stiffing unless you are over 80 years old have 12 points.....

1641244950423.png

Last edited:
I need a dining table and chairs brought up (table is heavy as ****). Struggling to find anyone that can do it for less than the stuff cost to buy.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Yes, yes, I know, I'd normally craft my own artisanal dining table but I'm trying to keep the pressure off the NHS.
If you're on Facebook, join a few local community groups and post asking if there's a man with a van.

Usually pretty cheap.

Try Shiply

We have summat similar to that over here too, gets stuff moved around the entire USA as fill up's on the big boys loads.

What we do have here, that I do not remember there is labor assistance. If you book a van through U-Haul online in the process there is also the option to book anything from one individual to a whole team of loaders. You are presented with a list of individuals/companies near you who will load, their hourly rate, and travel time rate if applicable. I have used the service to find fetch and carriers without renting a van, just when I need stuff moving from A to B on site.

Finding a man with a van is fine, but you also need someone to do the schlepping at either end. Might be a little business opportunity for someone over there.

Last edited: