Anyone know if theres a ROCO survivors club?

There is a RoCo group on facebook with some good dits on it.

Oh the pain. Still probably one of the most satisfying experiences of my life and am adamant that if the whole CC went through RoCo as the first term there would be a big drop out rate.

Victorian_Major said:
If you have to ask, you'll never know...

Never did it myself but I can exchange nightmare stories about RAC 'O' Type. That help?
What possible nightmares could you have about RAC O Type? I did Brigade Squad, now that was an education in pain.

Jorrocks said:
Victorian_Major said:

Never did it myself but I can exchange nightmare stories about RAC 'O' Type. That help?
What possible nightmares could you have about RAC O Type? I did Brigade Squad, now that was an education in pain.
Let the dick measurement begin...

I think they were all pretty savage in retrospect TBH. Certainly we did stuff and were subjected to things that when I ran a junior cadre seven years later were unthinkable. The levels of extreme beasting, bullshit and mental pain still make me judder when I think of Cambrai Barracks.

Jorrocks said:
Victorian_Major said:

Rather chuffed I passed RCB and so missed the oppertunity (my fall back)to badge as a Jock Guard with Brigade Squad, I have friends who still cry in corners after what they went through! ROWCO however was strange and I will never forget the live packed lunches they were given which all bar 1 came back from Oakhampton very much alive and well!

Mr_Baiter said:
I passed RCB and therefore have no idea about RoCo
A certain 1990s RMAS commandants son also passed RCB...but 'daddy' told him that RowCo would give him the best possible start to his career so off he went...reluctantly!

CDO-HARALDO said:
There is a RoCo group on facebook with some good dits on it.

Oh the pain. Still probably one of the most satisfying experiences of my life and am adamant that if the whole CC went through RoCo as the first term there would be a big drop out rate.
Didn't have to do RoCo myself but I'm sure you're right about the drop-out rate. IIRC though, RoCo was intended to be for people who needed toughening up a bit (I don't mean that as a dig, and apologies if it comes accross as rude). Given that not all people fit that requirement on starting the CC, it would be a waste of potential talent if people with excellent leadership ability were beasted out of RMAS at the very start.

Don't get me wrong - beastings done properly are, in my view, an essential part of training. But beasting everyone right from the word go probably aint for the best. (In my heart of hearts I don't really agree with what I have just written - I'd love to see some heavy duty beasting :) )

Yep I am a survivor of ROCO. But I cant tell you about it because if I did I would have to kill you and cut your head off and keep it in my fridge until your memory of what I told you decayed.

muhandis89 said:
First OC of ROWCO was a Sapper friend of mine.He seems to have set the tone!
Rather thought he was RHF and left as a Maj Gen after a good job done in Bosnia. I seem to remember ROWCO being set up to stop all the defered watch people (get a life for a year and come back) from getting other jobs and the Army missing out on them.

People were sent on it for many reasons. Not all because they were lacking life experience. On my course in the 80s there was a Junior Brecon qualified former Grenadier Guards LSgt and a former Special Duties JNCO.

All agreed it was a 12 week beasting from hell which the 70% failure rate will testify.

I have to admit though that despite its rigours I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was slightly disappointed that the CC was not nearly as enjoyable. Nor sadly was being a Tp Ldr, but I suppose that you could not spend your entire life living in such a fashion though it would have been good to try.

One of the prizes that went with the army scholarship was a free ticket to RMAS without passing through Westbury. Then someone clicked that an interview with a spotty 16 year old was no substitute for jumping through window frames at RCB, so they came up with a mini RCB that we had to do at the begining of SMC. If you passed, you went straight to an SMC platoon, otherwise, you went to RoCo. The three or four who went to RoCo from my batch all failed RoCo. Thank f*ck I passed.

Gents/Ladies, Thanks for the responses!! Trust me, having made it to week 9 before having a quite major part of my leg removed and then being told, in a typically sympathetic manner that, I would have to start again at day 1 week 1 I can hand on heart say it was pretty emotional. Unfortunately though on moving on to the CC you just get on with it and never really got on with the, yes but we're ROWCO so better than you idea. It appears that I now however miss the beasting and am looking at reliving the golden years, lets just say the moleskins have got tighter !! Remember the grey man trumps all ;-) !!