Anyone know how to gut and cook mackerel?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Detonator, Feb 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just been "presented" with a couple of whole mackerel. Fresh and have not been gutted.

I'm leaning to the idea of baking them in the oven, but first I've got to gut and prepare the blighters. Any top tips? I've googled it but anything from an expert on here would be good.

I plan to just bang it on a baking tray whole for 30 mins. Apart from gutting them, is there anything else I should do first? Is it ok for them to have been sat all this time with their guts in? I thought they supposed to be gutted pretty much at once.

2. Place the point of a sharp knife in the anus with the edge facing outwards and cut up towards the gills, this opens the belly without cutting the guts and you can just scoop them out. Job done. Descale with the back of the knife and chop off the head by putting the blade just behind the gill on one side and chopping through, ready to go. Take the fins and tail off if you think you need to but I never do, a quick rinse to get off any stray scales and straight into the frying pan with some butter. Skin side down and don't overcook it by having the pan too hot, which burns the skin before it's cooked through. This doesn't take long to do so keep an eye on it. Serve with a nice glass of chilled white wine or cold belgian or german lager.

3. Just slit them down their bellys and scoop out the shite.I'd grill them myself with a grind or 2 of pepper and lemon juice.

4. Nice one. Cheers. Do I need to **** about with the gills? I read somewhere they make it taste bad, but cant really see that if cooked like you have suggested.

5. They cook through alright if you bang them into a pan or on the grill whole but gutted and minus the head? Don't need to flatten them out or anything?

6. Absolutely, you can cook indeed them whole but I just added the 'chopping the head off' bit because the girls go all squeamish when you whack a whole fish on the BBQ and then eat the eyes in front of them.
    For some reason... ;-)

7. Take the back bone out and butterfly them(flatten out). :)

8. Do not put it in the oven unless you are making some kind of gayer fish bake thing.

As said already only fry or BBQ fresh mackeral. I would suggest only frying for 4mins max each side.

Oh and leave the head on - means you can suck the eyes out in front of company...

9. It's much funnier if you suck out the raw eyes before cooking. Then whack them on the BBQ. ;-)

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Mackerel, great and minging, great as in a tanner each on the beach and minging as mum would casserole them in vinegar for breakfast!

11. My method is gut as above. Stuff with a little butter and some garlic and basil. Wrap in some tinfoil and place in oven and allow to steam for about 20 mins. Delish! Saturday Kitchen awaits!

12. Amateur.
    Have sex with the fish instead of the sqeamish girlie. Then have sex with the sqeamish girlie using the fish as a dil...

Ah, we've gone a bit off topic here. true to form for ARRSE.

13. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

All ruddy amateurs. with Mackerel you cut gently at the back of the head until you feel the bone then grip the head and pull.. you remove the guts and backbone in one movement

14. You've been watching too many Predator films :-D