Anyone know how to find if a German Night Fighter pilot is still alive

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ugly, Oct 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Just because the descendants of the crew of the plane this chap Walter Briegleb shot down are curious. The records show him taking two Halifax mk3 on the night of 5th Jan 45, one was my Grandads crew and another about 10 minutes either side of 1900 hrs.
    The other relatives want to clear up the usual anomolies in records and personal memories handed down etc.
    I said I would help as they have been generous with all the stuff I didnt know about Grandad!

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Cheers, will check

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Nah its all about the general air war rather than the enemy, I need to find out if the German Pilot is still alive!

4. Right, try this site; it`s run by some Dutch people who have masses of info about both sides I think....and it`s free! They ask for some basic details and conduct a search for you.

Bomber Command Association

Once again, best of luck.

5. You'll have to go around German nursing homes shout "Achtung! Spitfire!" - and see who either looks up or tries to do a steep bank to port....

A mate's pa-in-law (ex-SS) traced a bunch of mates from a Wermacht unit via the German ministry that doles out veterans' pensions. Not sure what the details are, but that would be a fairly failsafe way of finding the bloke.

6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

It says here that he survived the war with 25 kills.

Google him it brings up loads.

Zoltanski

7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Is there a Luftwaffe equivalent of arrse?

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Cheers I googled him but didn't look at zoltanski, we know he was alive in 2010 as he met the chancellor, they are looking for him now! Rock you may have misunderstood me I was looking for the German Pilot and all of those are about allied aircrew!
    Thanks folks

9. Brotherton Lad

Tricky stuff, ugly. It's a hell of a ghost to put to rest. Sleeping dogs and all that.

10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Bit late to be getting revenge now, the ****** is gonna be 90 odd.

Having said that I'm always up for a bit of pensioner bashing so if you need a hand when you find him, let me know.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Speaking to the son of the surviving flt engineer on the phone was very difficult. He approached me as I put a memoriam note on my blog.
    Mum and I visited gramps grave in Sage on the 60th anniversary and I learnt a lot from my nan just before she died!
    The internet has a lot to answer for but there is no animosity, Grandads family came from Germany only about 100 years before to Canada via Yorkshire. Gramps and gt gramps both fought for the crown. Yes there are ghosts but to be honest apart from the manner of his passing it has all been a pleasant journey of discovery!
    I'm not fussed about the night fighter pilot but the two sons of survivors want to get all the details right!

Some mornings its hardly worth chewing through the straps!

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thanks for the offer Ravers!
    20 years ago perhaps

13. Brotherton Lad

Then perhaps you're looking for an anonymous channel of communication. You may not be fussed, but the night fighter pilot may be. On the other hand, he may welcome the opportunity. It's been done before.

Being a Luftwaffe pilot in early 45 and surviving is a tale in itself.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well the ball is in the court of the sons now! It has been done before and now there is only one surviving wife of the bomber aircrew, all the others now have passed away!
    I would have liked to have known them before they left us!
    At least I have the letter from my nan to my mum about gramps which was the dustiest I have ever read!
    I would also given the opportunity to tell the pilot no hard feelings, after all we had just bombed his schnelle imbis!