Anyone know anything about parachutes? (Abbey wood/ para QM)

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by BaldricksBullet, Oct 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (First off... sorry I haven't been around for a while... I wonder if all my medals are gone now I'm not a sponsor.)

Right - need help pronto... about parachute rigging. Now there's paracord (550) without a kevlar spectra core... am I right that this is no longer used for parachutes, but for more impotant tasks such as suspending prn above your bunk?

What is used for parachutes (kevlar/aramid/spectra)? Is there a difference between SF, Para, and crab rigging? What diameter is it? Where can I get it?

PLEASE BUMP THIS UP WITH PARACHUTE JOKES AND GOOD USES FOR PARACORD - as I need a quick answer on this - I'm sick of surfing.

Be good,- Chris (hope to sponsor you rememberance auction again this year - if it has started, ask the Gods to contact me.)

2. OK...

Bloke going down meets bloke going up

Bloke going down 'Know anything about parachutes?'
    Bloke going up 'Nope, know anything about gas cookers?'

3. Kinda what I was thinking, really admire the type of bloke who can't open his parachute on the way down but can log on to ARRSE to ask advice! 8O

4. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

They do not always work properly, I know.

5. The title of this thread should read:

6. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

The name of the Red Indian was Geronimo

7. Always better if they open before reaching the ground

8. Don't buy one made of lead, concrete or any other dense material

Never attempt to parachute from an inverted helicopter

Do not confuse with a rucksack if it's the last one on the plane

Do not shag the parachute packer's other half before jumping*

*You may ignore this if you pack your own chute

9. God I was slow getting that one. Excellent!

10. Paracord makes excellent drawstrings in your parachute nylon tabbing smock, robbed from a vandalized PX-4.

11. So... no one knows anything about parachutes then... come on... must be someone... I hope someone from the brigade logs on Monday morning. I mean do we pack them in Aldershot or is it all contracted out now?

Bloody hell I'm only 3 posts away from a medal (I guess) ... so expect 3 more of these useless posts.

12. Can anyone put me onto someone (for example) at Abbey Wood who really knows their stuff... promise not to burden them with more than a couple of minutes chat. PM of course.

13. Apparently,if yours doesn't open, you've probably picked up a rucksack by mistake.