Anyone know anything about eyes?!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Suedehead, Apr 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been to the opticians this morning, will these figures mean ill get binned at selection (for infantry) or am i alright?

Unaided - Right 6/9 Left 6/18

Corrected - Right 6/5 Left 6/5

I never wear glasses, will this standard of vision require me to wear them all the time, or at all?

2. As far as I remember it works something like this;

6/9 means that you can read a line of letters at 6ft that someone with 'perfect' sight can read at 9ft

the same with 6/18 you can read at 6ft what a 'perfect' sighted person can read at 18ft.

As to how that fits in with an Army Med test not sure but there will be someone on here that will know.

Nishka

3. Eyesight Standards The standard personal weapon is the SA80 and this requires vision in the right eye to be correctable to no less than 6/9. Vision in the left eye must be correctable to no less than 6/36. Spectacle correction must be no greater than -7diopters or +8 in any meridian. Certain types of surgery or laser treatment to correct visual defects are unacceptable and clarification should be sought prior to application.
    Wearing of glasses is in itself not a ban on service. You must pass the medical and achieve the minimum standards required for both corrected and un-corrected vision