Anyone know anything about 19th Century Ship Steam Engines?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Jorolat, Aug 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

The attached photo shows the recently recovered remains of an 1890s cargo ship that was used as a blockship during the First World War.

There's an anchor coming in from centre-left below which is an object with a rectangular face-plate.

A crew member on the barge carrying the remains said it was an "engine rocker". I've done some googling but probably didn't use the right keywords because I'm still none the wiser.

The crew member said the section above the anchor shank is the curved arch of the wreck's stern, with the vertical section on the right being the bottom of the keel above which (ie to the left) the rudder was once fixed.

The chap also said that other members of the crew thought the squat L-shaped item at top left may be the top of the rudder post (ie the rudder once lay between it and the bottom of the keel to the right).

Can anyone identify, or confirm, what the objects in the photo are, please?

John Latter / Jorolat

Attached Files:

2. Looks a bit part of a reciprocating steam engine.

3. Thank you, Clanky, and thank you for the link, CQMS.

John

4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Its a conrod from the piston, these are on the PS Waverly. I knew my love of steam engines would come in useful on ARRSE one day

Attached Files:

5. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Here's a better shot of a conrod on a model traction engine, they are all much the same

Attached Files:

6. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

The large curved piece could be one of the mounts for a boiler it looks a bit big for the piston cylinder mount

7. Thanks for the images, Jim :)

I don't know anything about engines myself, but the crew member did say the section above the anchor shank in the photo is the curved arch of the wreck's stern, with the vertical section on the right being the bottom of the keel.

John

8. If my guess is right its a piece of rusty metal

9. Don,t think its a conrod, It would have to have some means of fitting to a crank..and bearings both ends! and that piece of metal seems to have neither.

10. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Steam engine connection rods are nothing like the piston con rods in a modern petrol or diesel engine, and having worked on quite a few I would say its from a late 19th century as stated it would be interesting to know something about the wreck, what kind of ship it was, if it was screw or paddle driven, Where it was built,ect as these would all help to to find out who built the engine, as then, as it is now there were not that many marine engine manufacturers

11. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

most people do not get the connection between steam engines and tanks, but the first tanks were built by Fosters who made Traction engines this one is a post 1916 model and that's why it has a tank on its front, it belongs to a bloke I know when we were at the Llandsyl steam fair earlier in the summer

Attached Files:

12. You are Fred Dibnah arn't you!

13. Have a look here

14. The wreck is that of a First World War blockship which was sunk in 1915 in Dover Harbour, Jim.

Its currently in the process of being removed and I've uploaded some photos of the vessels involved in the operation under a Spanish Prince tag.

This is part of the caption to the Panorama of the First World War Spanish Prince Wreck Site photo:

The "Spanish Prince" was built in 1894 by Charles Connell and Company at Glasgow with a tonnage of 6505grt, a length of 450ft, a beam of 52ft 2in and a service speed of 11 knots. She was launched on Wednesday, 6th June 1894, and completed in the following August as the "Knight Batchelor" for Greenshields, Cowie & Co. of Liverpool, a company whose history goes back to 1795.

I've also attached a sonar image of the wreck taken a few years ago - it was this photo that originally got me interested!

Charles Lightoller also has a connection with the Spanish Prince (he was second mate on the RMS Titanic).

John

Attached Files: