Anyone involved with CISCO?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by soobz_66, Dec 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking at getting into networking when I eventually do one. Looking for some advice from someone that has done any of the courses and worked in the industry.

Cheers

2. I keep getting offers to shell out my hard earned ££££ to do these CISCO, CCNA etc courses. But with no concrete job offer at the end of the course, I see it as little more than gambling, which I am not. Even if I was a gambler, there's a perfectly good bookies shop in my local High Street to piss my money away.

I've met guys who have spent thousands on these IT courses who are still not earning the so-called salaries, so it's not for me, thanks.

So, my advice to anyone who has got a few grand spare is not to blow it on Mickey Mouse courses. Treat yourself to a nice holiday abroad. Blow the lot on wine women and song. You may have nothinhg to show for it, but at least you will have enjoyed yourself.

3. msr

msr LE

And you will have £30 to spend on the book and £50 for the exam :)

4. I've done a few CISCO courses and they may teach you well but companies these days want good practical experience to back up your certificates with.
    Nowadays i would suggest you do CompTIA A+ followed by Cisco IT Essentials 1 & 2.
    This would give you a good grounding, then buy a Cisco network kit on ebay to practice with.
    Then go for CCNA and either do their exams or do CompTIA Network+ & Security+
    And then either get a junior IT role or do volunteering with a company to get experience!

• Like Like x 1
  5. If you have a comms/IT background, then jump straight in at CCNA. Most courses don't prepare you to a high enough standard for the exam, so you will have to put in some extra work. There is a good range of books that will take you through the coursework and get you ready for the exam; some even come with network emulators/simulators that will provide excellent support to the theory.

Additionally there are some good free websites and tools that you can use to add extra value to your learning, such as GNS3.net, subnettingquestions.com, networking-forum.com and sharkwire etc. None of this is spoon-feeding and you will have to put in some work to gain the certificate.

If you have CCNA you are a long way ahead of many of the so-called 'IT experts' in the jobs market. We are always looking for CCNA qualified people, who we then develop to our own requirements.

Summary: CCNA is a valuable qualification; the course providers only get you part of the way there; there are a lot of free resources to help fill the gaps.

Remember, there is no place like 0.0.0.127

6. Or think about how many CCNA gits out there ?
    How qualified Are you even doing a full CCNA?

If you are younger then 30 ,I would look at VN/MPLS
    That is the way ahead for the next 5 years :)

7. There are a lot of people with CCNA, that's true, and CISCO is not the only game in town. It is however a gateway to proper comms and networking. VN is sexy and trendy and very niche, but a sexier trendier flavour will be along soon as is the way in this line of business, and you have to understand the underlying technologies anyway. There are already a hundred different technologies, applications and methodologies upon which you can focus, but CCNA is a gateway to most of them (Including 802.1q) and until v6 is fully adopted and full automation of architecture is achieved, it is useful. Personally I would recommend CCNA, followed by CCNA Voice and developing a sound working knowledge of QoS and MPLS.

(Edited to add: By which point you are CCNP anyway)

8. The only work of his I'm familiar with is 'The Thong Song'

• Like Like x 4
  9. All of this is exactly what I did, and very good advice. +1 on companies wanting people with experience.

I'd add that a lot of companies are flexible about what quals you do or don't have - they'll want someone who gets things done.

Maybe look at contracting to get a few jobs under your belt.

10. msr

msr LE

1.0.0.27, surely?

11. msr

msr LE

CompTIA exams are about 5 days (max) study / learning each ;)

Get the book off ebay / amazon, but make sure it is the latest version.

m-s-r

12. Surely not! Maybe 127.0.0.1 in most networks.

• Like Like x 2
  13. I prefer 192.168.15.1

-

I remember when I used to have half a library full of books on Cisco IOS, damn they were heavy. But looked impressive, even if I rarely cracked one of the set open.

As an outdated dinosaur, an MIS degree looks like a nice option. Perhaps with an add on concentration with mobile app development just in case.

Good luck on the BOFH career.

14. Checkout CBT Nuggets, they are who I use for all my exam prep. very good videos, relevant and decent content. They also have a youtube channel where they offer bits and bobs for free, for example they have an entire set dedicated to Server 2012 completely free.

But +1 for the experience though, there is not a single interview I have gone to where my accreditation was more important than the hands on work I've got under my belt. perhaps volunteer somewhere for a few months if you can afford to? Made all the difference for me!

Oh, and its anything in the 127 . x . x . x range 127.254.254.254 will work just as anything down to 127.0.0.1 will! :winkrazz:

15. I suppose so, but 'There's no place like 127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0' doesn't have the same snappy ring to it.