Anyone in to Wild Camping

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Did you buy some Fish Cock with it?

Interesting website, might spring for a jacket.

Kalakalle Fish Cock, 182 g, canned
No, but i've got lots of Ham Cock...

;)

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Evening guys, in an effort to lighten up my camping gear I have bought one of these DD Tarp 3x3 - MC | DD Hammocks a 3x3 lightweight tarp that weighs less than 800g and can be used to build a shelter along with my walking poles but I am after ideas for shelter designs if anyone has any?

Any websites that have easy to follow diagrams?

It comes with pegs and guy ropes and as I said I have walking poles but do I need any other kit? I also have the tarp part of an old IPK to put on the ground.
To be honest mate, it's easier to demonstrate than explain. Lots of paracord (made from fresh para's ;) ) and an imagination to adapt the right design for the climate to the environment you're in. some of the pictures here will give you ideas but I can't honestly say there's one site in particular i'd recommend as the 'right way to do it'.

I'm still using a 25 year old North face tadpole when cycle touring as being a semi geodesic it will pitch anywhere, but have a wild country Aspect 2.5 which is huge in comparison for base camping, softer ground or paintball weekends.

TIP - if a tent groundsheet/flysheet/bag/tarp is leaky then you can reproof them with a mix of white spirit and clear silicone sealant mixed 5:1 then painted/sponged on. it effectively creates a sil nylon. even dead goretex can be painted up to give it new life.

I tend to carry a bivvy bag and poncho as well for when I might need an afternoon nap, weather break or stealthy camp.. there's always somewhere you can hide off piste even in bright red tent.

when I used to cover scout and DofE expeds I used to cycle off early doors then have a nap on their route so I knew they had passed. then meet them at whichever pub or site we were sleeping at that night.

My knees and neck stopped me humping a ruck like I used to.

now I carry more weight but on the bike so its easier to shift, get water from churches or cemeteries, I also look for canal routes for towpath camping or I have waterways keys to use water points and shower blocks which is handy when crossing the lower 2/3 of the country. its also easy to camp next to a pub, CRT are easy enough with it as long as you only stop the one night.

back in 2017 I carried 11 days of food for a ride around yorkshire seeing the relatives which was fun and a combination of wild and garden camping..

however things can go to extremes - this guy even carries an infrared heat lamp and duvets with him

Cracking good tent that. Only "3 season" but only due to snow iirc. Otherwise rain and storms are fine if it's pegged down. Not as easy as it might be to pitch if you are knackered though. Back in the day it's main competitor was the Ultimate Peapod, which used pultrued fibreglass whereas the tadpole used ally poles. There were two derivatives green and blue. Blue had better ventilation for damp climates. 7lbs iirc. A tent like single skin bivi is lighter but there is the issue of contriving supports for it.

Interesting proofing tip by the way.

Done a lot of impromptu lightweight stuff in the Lakes, Snowdonia, the Purbecks. Annoyingly, I live on the edge of the new forest which is horrible approved sites only, but my lad goes tactical out there, hammock and tarp, self heating meals, moves on before dawn. Every year I organise a three night trip with my kayak mates, coast or river, with more kit and booze than I could dream of man carrying, and no pre planned landing places. The wye, the Thames, Basingstoke canal, Swanage to the Hamble, dunno about this year though.
Interesting. I have been considering a hammock with mosi net and basha. Some of the nearby woods have some hefty boughs come adrift in strong winds and a few widow makers though.

Last edited:
Evening guys, in an effort to lighten up my camping gear I have bought one of these DD Tarp 3x3 - MC | DD Hammocks a 3x3 lightweight tarp that weighs less than 800g and can be used to build a shelter along with my walking poles but I am after ideas for shelter designs if anyone has any?

It comes with pegs and guy ropes and as I said I have walking poles but do I need any other kit? I also have the tarp part of an old IPK to put on the ground.
YouTube has a great supply of instructional videos, including knot-tying if you weren't one of the dib-dib-dob crowd. I had an old Soviet plash-palatka I used for a good many years and there are some great videos on how to use that in various shapes and combinations, both from Russian hunters and US survivalists.

Alamo

LE

A.N.Other

Old-Salt

Do a YouTube search for "tarpology". There are quite a few videos showing different setups. That said, I tend to stick to A frame or lean-to.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Big problem up here is that folk misinterpret the wild camping laws thinking it gives them free reign to park campervans anywhere they like

Big problem up here is that folk misinterpret the wild camping laws thinking it gives them free reign to park campervans anywhere they like
The best part of Scotland's wild camping laws is the complimentary litter collection service they provide.

All you have to do is make sure your shit is in a neat pile before you fcuk off in the morning and hey presto, it's gone.

Although not obligatory, I always go that step further in helping them by loosely bagging everything up, especially when there's broken glass being left.

No need to thank me.

Not sure if anyone has posted a link to this mad Canuck, but if you want to know how not to do things he's worth a watch.

Allemannsretten which means "everyman's right".

This year has seen a big push both publicly and privately, for the Norwegian people to take "A Norwegian holiday". This means that camping equipment has just walked itself of the shelves. This year has cost me dearly for the purchasing of said equipment, as I've had to buy it twice. Both for me and mini me. I gave all my green stuff away when I left and good riddance.
Rule of thumb seems to be, Normal kit is expensive. Lightweight kit is double the price. Ultra lightweight kit is four times the price. So its been a balance between cost, necessity and weight. Cost always win!
The big three - Sleeping bag, shelter and then rucksack. These are arguably the most important thing to get right first time.
Its easy to fall into the trap of "I was in the military, I can do this without help!" but You tube has been invaluable for advice on camping equipment, food and where to go.

This year I will practice my Allemannsretten. and I am very much looking forward to it! :-D

SK

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I’ve got something very similar but made by Gelert.

I tend to only really use it in the woods so I’ve ditched the poles. There is always a tree to tie up to.

Guide ropes are also gone and I’ve replaced them with some lightweight, extra long bungees. I’ve crimped the hooks With pliers so they are semi permanently attached to the tarp and won’t get lost. I can’t be arsed with knots and trying to tighten things up. Bungees save loads of time and effort and are always tight.

My favourite set up for solo camps is to find a tree with a low horizontal branch. Attach the tarp to the tree at one end as if you were making a standard A frame. Then attach the centre of the tarp to the horizontal branch. If you’re using an old 58 pattern poncho use the hood for the centre bit. Most tarps now have a loop in the centre that can be used for this.

Then peg out the 4 corners and the end opposite the tree.

It’s hard to explain without a picture but you basically get a proper tent that is sealed at one end. Plenty of space, and the tree provides enough shelter at the open end. You can also plug this end with your Bergen. It’s also pretty indestructible. Wind can blow tarp poles down, it doesn’t often blow trees over. The bungees also provide enough flex for the pegs not to come flying out.

If I can be arsed later, I’ll make one in the garden so you can see.

Not much to add but here in the Beacons there's the opportunity to disappear for a night quite easily - especially as the sheeple all stick to the same well worn paths leaving the rest of the place very quiet.

Picked up a Laser Comp 1 which hasn't been up anywhere more tufty that the garden at the moment. We were due to have a bit of a challenge thing going on in the Pyrenees in a few weeks and the final bit of my training and prep would have been out and about for a few days getting some mileage in - didn't happen though and the whole National Park has been legally OoB now.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’ve had this Jack Wolfskin Gossamer for a few years now. I got it on sale for 55 quid.

It’s very well made and great for mountain adventures. Only downside is it’s small size. You can’t sit up in it which makes getting dressed a bit of a faff. It’s also too small to fit me and my Bergen in. The bag has to stay outside.

Better than a bivvy though.

As far as I can tell, it’s pretty much identical to the Snugpak Ionosphere which retails for about 150 quid.

485B59BB-4F0C-4ADC-B22B-A7A7E9D79D47.jpeg
61A350E7-5C92-4E6F-95EC-CDD70F2F2AB9.jpeg
6D512E53-8FCA-43F8-9754-360107F6270D.jpeg

A.N.Other

Old-Salt
Not much to add but here in the Beacons there's the opportunity to disappear for a night quite easily - especially as the sheeple all stick to the same well worn paths leaving the rest of the place very quiet.

Picked up a Laser Comp 1 which hasn't been up anywhere more tufty that the garden at the moment. We were due to have a bit of a challenge thing going on in the Pyrenees in a few weeks and the final bit of my training and prep would have been out and about for a few days getting some mileage in - didn't happen though and the whole National Park has been legally OoB now.

Got to agree. Plenty of places to kip. One of my best nights out was in windy gap in a Terra Nova Jupiter bivi bag. Winds gusting over 50mph and I ended up using my ruck as a pillow to stop it blowing away. Around 2am it had blown itself out and there wasn't a clod in the sky. Fantastic view.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
FB_IMG_1591439347674.jpg

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Unfortunately it was a hire rather than my own
I really fancy one for taking out on the lake, but I know it’d just become another thing that takes up space in the garage that I need a trailer for and only use once a year.

I’m also morally opposed to paying over a grand for a chunk of plastic.

If our river was deeper and we could use it here, I’d probably be more easily persuaded. We’ve only really got two stretches, about 100m long each, that you could use something like that.

Latest Threads