Anyone in to Wild Camping

Middle of the Mourne Mountains at the back of the boundary to Tullymore Forest. The river Shimna flows in between two mountains. There's a couple of flat bits of grass to pitch a tent. I've always known the camping spot to be called the cascades.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I will take a look cheers man! I always solo camp but being a big lad I dont like feeling claustrophobic in a tent so need a decent amount ofspace.

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk
I got a Nordisk Svalbard 1 (there's two types, PU and SI which is to do with the material & seams - and price!) for my lad, he's a big unit at 6'3" and 120kg and it's fine for him, i've got a Snugpak Bunker which I use when i'm taking the dogs with me - it's quite heavy at 3.2kg but it's big enough for me, two GSD size dogs and my bergen, and i've got Hurtta backpacks for the dogs to carry their own food so I can afford to carry a couple of books in ziploc bags as well.
ETA My own solo tent is a Hilleberg Akto, probably about fifteen years old by now, looks worn but not worn out.

Last edited:
It's amazing what people will take with them TBH and never fails to amaze me. It seems like these days there is a gadget or gizmo for just about everything which almost reduces the camping experience down to the point where U might as well get a B&B room!
As Granny Van would have told you "It's better to have it and not need it, that not have it and need it"

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
They would've probably been alright if they'd not started a fire, besides, there's lots of better places round there!
ETA - it's clearly not in the spirit of the quarantine, i'd be interested in what part of the legislation the fines were applied - purely for discussion, not an argument!

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Got one of these delivered today
For the money, you can't fault it, although as noted, the supplied pegs are steel and therefore quite heavy. Pack weight as supplied is 3.3kg. Obviously there are much lighter two man tents but at a much higher cost, even with the supplied pegs, it wouldn't be an excessive weight to carry if you're spreading the kit between two people, i'm more likely to use it when I take out two (large) dogs out into the wilds in decent weather, the Snugpak Bunker we have would be too hot as it's a double skin tent best suited to 'off season' camping. Clearly, it's not a freestanding tent (unlike the Snugpak) so you'd need to choose somewhere you can peg it out properly. The one I received was unissued, as they state on the webpage, you might get an issued one but they doo seem relatively squaddie proof.

For the money, you can't fault it, although as noted, the supplied pegs are steel and therefore quite heavy. Pack weight as supplied is 3.3kg. Obviously there are much lighter two man tents but at a much higher cost, even with the supplied pegs, it wouldn't be an excessive weight to carry if you're spreading the kit between two people, i'm more likely to use it when I take out two (large) dogs out into the wilds in decent weather, the Snugpak Bunker we have would be too hot as it's a double skin tent best suited to 'off season' camping. Clearly, it's not a freestanding tent (unlike the Snugpak) so you'd need to choose somewhere you can peg it out properly. The one I received was unissued, as they state on the webpage, you might get an issued one but they doo seem relatively squaddie proof.
Tidy looking bit of kit with loads of space and cheap as well!

Let us know how you get on with it please.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Tidy looking bit of kit with loads of space and cheap as well!

Let us know how you get on with it please.
No worries, although if you're thinking of getting one, there's only 26 left - they've sold 133 in two weeks.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Just looked at rest of pictures. Those side ventilation panels are a good idea, they are mesh covered right?
Yes mate, the whole thing is bug proof with the zips fastened, go for the FI Posti delivery, cheaper than DHL and it only took three days once dispatched

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Spent most of last week down at the river with the kids.

Don’t really know if this is within the covid guidelines, it’s on my own private land, arguably this is just camping in my garden.

The teepee was a massive bargain. 25 quid from Tesco’s a few years back. Wish I’d bought them all.

Long term plan is to put some sort of cabin / shack down here. It’s a brilliant spot. Would be handy just to have a lockable place to store stuff like camping chairs and a bbq etc. So I don’t have to lug it all down here each time.

1B8E8FFA-5D05-4CE6-8707-CFFF43C25406.jpeg
862D6C99-EFF9-4587-AF63-758B4202A2DB.jpeg
00DBEE7A-B590-4E6C-B10D-FB6A32348DF3.jpeg
FCD7EAA3-38EF-4BC9-A35E-8E6DB5F5C395.jpg
4A195101-107D-439F-B51D-F609589FCB69.jpeg

Spent most of last week down at the river with the kids.

Don’t really know if this is within the covid guidelines, it’s on my own private land, arguably this is just camping in my garden.

The teepee was a massive bargain. 25 quid from Tesco’s a few years back. Wish I’d bought them all.

Long term plan is to put some sort of cabin / shack down here. It’s a brilliant spot. Would be handy just to have a lockable to store stuff like camping chairs and a bbq etc. So I don’t have to lug it all down here each time.

View attachment 479709View attachment 479710View attachment 479711View attachment 479712View attachment 479713
I am seriously jealous you bastard :)

Hypothetically, if I was to be heading North this summer (assuming Jockistan removes restrictions by August) any chance of renting that for a night or two?

Edit - or in keeping with the thread, a tenner to pitch a tent nearby?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I am seriously jealous you bastard :)

Hypothetically, if I was to be heading North this summer (assuming Jockistan removes restrictions by August) any chance of renting that for a night or two?

Edit - or in keeping with the thread, a tenner to pitch a tent nearby?
I’ve mentioned on other threads that it’s fair game for (sound) arrsers within reason.

As long as people leave it as they found it then it’s really no hassle.

philc

LE
Did you buy some Fish Cock with it?

Interesting website, might spring for a jacket.

Kalakalle Fish Cock, 182 g, canned

Evening guys, in an effort to lighten up my camping gear I have bought one of these DD Tarp 3x3 - MC | DD Hammocks a 3x3 lightweight tarp that weighs less than 800g and can be used to build a shelter along with my walking poles but I am after ideas for shelter designs if anyone has any?

Any websites that have easy to follow diagrams?

It comes with pegs and guy ropes and as I said I have walking poles but do I need any other kit? I also have the tarp part of an old IPK to put on the ground.