Anyone in to Wild Camping

Brother in law used to do it using a kayak. Paddle all day then find a suitable spot to kip at night.
Kit carried by the kayak including beers.
This is not the Widow Twankey cosplay thread, then?

Not done it for a while, but enjoy bivvying up miles from anyone.

The issue with 'wild camping' is once a good spot is publicised on social media, (the same goes for bothies, caves etc), word spreads and within 6 months the place is trashed and full of burnt out disposable BBQs, turds and broken bottles.
Oh, so it could be the Widow Twankey cosplay thread, then :)

Bought one years ago ..... complete with the straw and water container .... always in the bottom of my rucksack .... weight minimal ... and use can be potentially life saving .

As a consequence of purchase I discovered that the thread on the connector to the water bag is universal and fits all Coke / Pepsi / other screw top drink bottles .
Smart move and yes it IS a universal thread so quite useful.

Was in Vegas about ten years ago with a very posh and loaded girlfriend.
She bought me a top from Mountain hardware.
$200.00
I am still wearing it now and its still waterproof.
Got me laid once when I demonstrated its capabilities.
You strangled her with it??

OneTenner

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Was in Vegas about ten years ago with a very posh and loaded girlfriend.
She bought me a top from Mountain hardware.
$200.00
I am still wearing it now and its still waterproof.
Got me laid once when I demonstrated its capabilities.
I've got a Rab Berber fleece (now called a 'classic fleece') from 1999, didn't get me laid but still keeps me warm - unlike the Mrs....

A lot of our UK trails are heavily used and you won’t get much peace on or near them. The South Downs Way has been mentioned. It can be walked in a couple of days. Some nutters have run it end to end within a day, and that’s before we get into lunatic mountain bikers doing it overnight.
As one of those who has biked the South Downs way overnight and also walked / run the area extensively then my suggestion to the OP would be doss bag/Tarp or Hammock with fly sheet and mozzie mesh.
I use either a Hennesey or a bespoke built hammock from Matt at UK Hammocks. There are several water points along the way and plentiful cattle troughs . 3 or 4 nights away at a gentle bimble and several pubs and shops if you drop off the hill a mile or so and a youth hostel .
Wild camping no problem if you are sensible and discreet and avoid the bit around the back of Brighton on summers nights . It can get very busy so avoid summer weekends although only near built up areas .

As one of those who has biked the South Downs way overnight and also walked / run the area extensively then my suggestion to the OP would be doss bag/Tarp or Hammock with fly sheet and mozzie mesh.
I use either a Hennesey or a bespoke built hammock from Matt at UK Hammocks. There are several water points along the way and plentiful cattle troughs . 3 or 4 nights away at a gentle bimble and several pubs and shops if you drop off the hill a mile or so and a youth hostel .
Wild camping no problem if you are sensible and discreet and avoid the bit around the back of Brighton on summers nights . It can get very busy so avoid summer weekends although only near built up areas .
Thank you sir, this is just the sort of int that I was looking for. I may seek your advice again if that's okay bud.

ugly

LE
i keep a kelly kettle in my quad kit for feed rounds!

Last edited:
Thank you sir, this is just the sort of int that I was looking for. I may seek your advice again if that's okay bud.
Of course ....... wish I had more time to get out and about these days ..... I do have a reputation amongst friends for being feral owing to sleeping in our field next to a perfectly good house for a lot of the summer .

Well my old Vango Tornado that saw me thru many trips over the last 10 or so years has now been confined to the spare parts area if my camping gear. Few too many tears and it's a bit heavy when used by one person.

Suggestions for a replacement? Needs to be spacious one man, not too heavy but not crazy expensive either..

Well my old Vango Tornado that saw me thru many trips over the last 10 or so years has now been confined to the spare parts area if my camping gear. Few too many tears and it's a bit heavy when used by one person.

Suggestions for a replacement? Needs to be spacious one man, not too heavy but not crazy expensive either..
MSR tents, I’ve a elixir and it’s bullet proof.

Say it how it is.
You are a fat, noodle armed, skint bloke. :p

Latest Threads