Anyone in to Wild Camping

happyuk

War Hero
Smilog woods near Llantrisant is one potential place I can think of.

Here is the Google Earth link.

Having been there a few times before, I would recommend getting to it via Coedly roundabout rather than Ynysmaerdy / East Glam hospital side, it's just an easier drive. As you can see it's a pretty sizeable area, and in my opinion once you're deep into the woods it's fairly unlikely you'd run into anyone, never mind being asked to move on.

I've always been the type to build a circle of stones, to put the fire logs within. Leaving the tent to go for a walk for a while and the fire gets doused in water.

Seen it here where young adults come upto the mountains with no clue in a world about the outdoors and try to cart a rucksack each plus tents etc and a couple of days worth of beer.. you can imagine no rubbish goes of the mountain with them.

Have a look at this website mucker.

Smilog woods near Llantrisant is one potential place I can think of.

Here is the Google Earth link.

Having been there a few times before, I would recommend getting to it via Coedly roundabout rather than Ynysmaerdy / East Glam hospital side, it's just an easier drive. As you can see it's a pretty sizeable area, and in my opinion once you're deep into the woods it's fairly unlikely you'd run into anyone, never mind being asked to move on.
Cheers.

Not wild camping as such but this seemed like the most appropriate thread.

Any recommendations for where to spend a couple of days on Skye? I think it will be with someone who rapidly finds they aren't keen on walking up mountains so the Cuillins probably aren't a good idea. Anywhere with nice views and relatively gentle ascents stand out?

Any recommendations for where to spend a couple of days on Skye? I think it will be with someone who rapidly finds they aren't keen on walking up mountains so the Cuillins probably aren't a good idea. Anywhere with nice views and relatively gentle ascents stand out?
Try www.20lochbayandnearbyre.com . It is a lovely little place run by a mate of mine (ex-RAF but don't hold that against him). Not sure of the Covid rules for Sturgeonland but he will be able to advise and will know of other good places to stay.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Try www.20lochbayandnearbyre.com . It is a lovely little place run by a mate of mine (ex-RAF but don't hold that against him). Not sure of the Covid rules for Sturgeonland but he will be able to advise and will know of other good places to stay.

Covid rules are fairly lax now and be even laxer from Monday.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Find your walks here. Graded by distance and terrain.
Clear maps and directions with photos.

That way you can get prior approval of proposed walks.

Andy Farman

On ROPS
On ROPs
"Anyone in to Wild Camping"

Not much option to do otherwise since Tame Camping sites are trailer parks

"Anyone in to Wild Camping"

Not much option to do otherwise since Tame Camping sites are trailer parks
My wife was tempted by the thought of a camper van.
A friend kindly offered the use of her chalet attached to a camp site, so we could see if we liked it.
No way would I do it again, screaming kids from early morning until gone midnight. The adults are little better.
It might be better if you can find a place with no facilities apart from the bare minimum. I was talking to someone with a camper a while ago who confirmed that less was definitely more.

A friend kindly offered the use of her chalet attached to a camp site, so we could see if we liked it.
No way would I do it again, screaming kids from early morning until gone midnight. The adults are little better.
It might be better if you can find a place with no facilities apart from the bare minimum. I was talking to someone with a camper a while ago who confirmed that less was definitely more.
It's one of the reasons I prefer to camp up in the Mourne Mountains, rather in the camp sites around the lower levels of the mountains.

Everyone rocking up with carryouts etc, creating havoc in the campsites.

D

Deleted 4482

Last time I went camping on a site was at Reay Castle in the lakes, probably around 10 years ago now. Was me, the wife in one tent and my dad and his dog in the other. Was just planned as a weekend of sheer beering.

All the other campers though seemed determined to demonstrate they'd normally be holidaying in The Maldives or somesuch though - trying to outclass each other...liberal use of "I've never done anything like this before but we thought..."

And then dinner time came around and- it was like listening to a mexican wave of formation middle classness - as they all tried to oudo each other:

"Sebastian....did you pack the balsamic darling"

Next tent: "Hugo...how many times have I told you- dont leave your cello on the floor!"

then raised by "Octavia, do you think the shops sell foccacia in this part of the world?"

Then rudely interupted by a "FOR FUCKSSAKE!!!!" - coming from my dad's tent- further enquiries revealed (at full volume) that his "piss system" he'd fashioned out of a coke bottle and some tubing had split and covered his sleeping bag.

Aaah yes the ‘human range extender gone wrong moment’.

Was a great idea until it filled the left/right boot...or leaked at the top end.

Just ordered my first new tent in over ten years, DH Hammocks SuperLight tarp tent. £135 for a sub 750gms tent!

2C590712-B43E-4C06-9D0E-2F6A6D5D91E5.jpeg

Here is a precise what3words address, made of 3 random words. Every 3 metre square in the world has its own unique what3words address.

Poppy

LE

Latest Threads