Kit Reviewer

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Looking into doing the Skye Trail this Summer - has anyone here done it before?

It doesn't seem very long (just 8 days), but the main concern I have is apparently certain parts are remote, so I wonder if it's worth investing in a sat phone or some other means of communication where you can call for help in the unlikely event something happens? Unless mobile coverage is similar to the Great Glenn Way, where even in the mountains above Loch Ness, I was able to get 4g coverage.

It would be good to hear from anyone here who has done the trail and if they think Sat Comms would be overkill or not.

It doesn't seem very long (just 8 days), but the main concern I have is apparently certain parts are remote, so I wonder if it's worth investing in a sat phone or some other means of communication where you can call for help in the unlikely event something happens? Unless mobile coverage is similar to the Great Glenn Way, where even in the mountains above Loch Ness, I was able to get 4g coverage.

It would be good to hear from anyone here who has done the trail and if they think Sat Comms would be overkill or not.
1622630786426.png

Get Yourself one of these. You'll always have it.

View attachment 578124
Get Yourself one of these. You'll always have it.

Thanks - I've just discussed with the other half as it's probably not a bad investment and better to be safe than sorry (plus we already have the rest of the kit we need, aside from a GPS (the last one got run over by a tractor when it fell out of my pocket when doing the GR16)) so a couple of hundred quid investment that'll last a good few years isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

Recently the idea of stealth camping has appeared, thats camping in urban or semi urban areas without being seen, I was doing this in the 1990's though, on long distance walks out for multiple weeks passing through towns I would often get hidden away in parks for the night after they closed, seaside shelters, the grounds of waterworks, railway property, open fishing boats on the beach, roundabouts and electrical substations.

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
Recently the idea of stealth camping has appeared, thats camping in urban or semi urban areas without being seen, I was doing this in the 1990's though, on long distance walks out for multiple weeks passing through towns I would often get hidden away in parks for the night after they closed, seaside shelters, the grounds of waterworks, railway property, open fishing boats on the beach, roundabouts and electrical substations.
I slept in a trampoline this week! Family barbecue, a few (!) beers, then woke up in the garden. Wife not tremendously impressed....

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Given the popularity of Skye at present moment, you'll probably never be more than a couple of hundred yards from anyone!

A.N.Other

War Hero
Thanks - I've just discussed with the other half as it's probably not a bad investment and better to be safe than sorry (plus we already have the rest of the kit we need, aside from a GPS (the last one got run over by a tractor when it fell out of my pocket when doing the GR16)) so a couple of hundred quid investment that'll last a good few years isn't much in the grand scheme of things.
If you're in the wilds without phone signal you should carry a personal locator beacon.

I have a Garmin InReach Mini for wild camping and trail riding. Very small, world wide coverage with an SOS button. Hit the SOS button and local emergency services are alerted and given your location.

This function is on all PLBs. Where the Garmin stands out is it has two way text communications. You can send an unlimited number of messages, taken from three predefined messages, which can be sent to any mobile number or email. Included in the basic £15/month subscription are an additional 10 messages which are freetext and can be sent from the PLB or from any mobile number to the PLB. I use the [redefined messages to let the Mrs know I've arrived safe and well, left the camp or I'm on my way home. The subscription is monthly, so you can drop and restart as needed (mine's been off during lockdown) and higher fees give you more messages.

Stealth camping doesn't involve swamping your doss bag every night, shouting at pigeons or only having one tooth.
Not necessarily, no.

I follow a few groups on FB for wild camping.

Due to lockdown and the activities of morons (ie, the general public) there have been too many wild fires and additional rubbish is being deposited in the Peak District.

As a result the rangers are going off road and using drones to catch anyone who is not well hidden. I don’t think they mind those who are genuinely out of the way and discreet - more the morons in the pop up tents with the disposable BBQ’s only a mile from the road.

However, something to be aware of.
ETA: MTP bivi bags are free from the man at Q&M!

I follow a few groups on FB for wild camping.

Due to lockdown and the activities of morons (ie, the general public) there have been too many wild fires and additional rubbish is being deposited in the Peak District.

As a result the rangers are going off road and using drones to catch anyone who is not well hidden. I don’t think they mind those who are genuinely out of the way and discreet - more the morons in the pop up tents with the disposable BBQ’s only a mile from the road.

However, something to be aware of.
ETA: MTP bivi bags are free from the man at Q&M!

There is (and I hope common sense of the authorities realise) a big difference between the walkers who wild camp because they love the outdoors, and hoofwankingbunglecunts with the pop-up tent and the piles of rubbish and (my pet hate) unextinguished fires.

Don't destroy what you came to enjoy.

Given the popularity of Skye at present moment, you'll probably never be more than a couple of hundred yards from anyone!
I know this was tongue in cheek, but the massed hordes don’t seem to go very far from the road (Storr excepted), and the Skye Trail is largely well away from them.

The traffic was horrendous between the bridge and Portree last week. I won’t be rushing back.

Latest Threads