Anyone in to Wild Camping

Thinner Merino stuff.

Montane do a Primino mix of different weights.

Check out Icebreaker and Armadillo.

EDZ also do good merino baselayers.

Thinner Merino stuff.

Alpkit also do merino kit at slightly less obnoxious prices - Men's Merino Clothing | Natures Technical Fabric | Alpkit and their customer service is top notch.

I find merino tends to get holes in quicker than synthetic Helly type shirts but it can be worn for a week without stinking.

Thinner Merino stuff.

No idea if good quality (although I find their stuff ok) - Decathlon also selll Marino stuff: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/browse/c0-sports/c1-trekking/c2-base-layers/_/N-lytwx1

No idea if good quality (although I find their stuff ok) - Decathlon also selll Marino stuff: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/browse/c0-sports/c1-trekking/c2-base-layers/_/N-lytwx1
I've got a running vest thing I got from Decathlon and it's superb - head and shoulders above the way more expensive stuff design wise and a third of the price.

Last edited:
I've got a running vest thing I got from Decathlon and it's superb - head and shoulders above the way more expansive stuff design wise and a third of the price.

I'm a big fan of their stuff. We have one of their trekking tents that cost something like 200 euros and that's done us fine for three big multi day treks. Also bought their version of a Softie Jacket and it did the job when hiking the Great Glenn. If buying sports/exercise kit, it's usually my first point of contact now too.

I like HH and don't find it smells whereas some other tops do. Lowe Alpine and Berghaus are good too. Have we any comparable kit made in UK rather than just UK brands made in China or wherever?

Merino wool: Seems a bit counter intuitive using wool in warm weather. Never tried it, I'll give it a shot.
That being said. Warm weather here is somewhere between +8 to 12c. Any more and it is then classed as tropical.

SK

Merino wool: Seems a bit counter intuitive using wool in warm weather. Never tried it, I'll give it a shot.
That being said. Warm weather here is somewhere between +8 to 12c. Any more and it is then classed as tropical.

SK
I wear Merino all year round - I'm partial to the ice breaker T-Shirts - so much more comfy and luxurious than cotton.

I have a few IsoCool T-shirts from Mountain Warehouse. Excellent in the summer and a good price.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
A mate of mine does it whilst mountain biking. He's into all that ultra light weight kit, and spends a fecking fortune on his 'hobby'.
Mind you, he works in the City, and is a child free, fifty something, fitness fanatic.
Isn't it quicker to say bender ?

I always like the idea of wild camping and hiking, but when I do it, I find it's miserable.

Then some time passes, I forget about the misery, and then find I quite like the idea of wild camping and hiking, then find it miserable.

The last time I poisoned us both and we had 'amoebic dysentery' from a Sawyer Squeeze water filter (they're meant to be pretty good so it was possibly user error). I'll never forget how my missis commented that I was a "Fvcking-stupid-useless-cvnt" as she was sat on the toilet, after puking up on the back of the toilet door.

We might do the Usk Valley Way shortly; it's only 50 miles and should be easy enough to do in three days/two nights. Easy transport links for us to the start and home from the finish.

I'll take the Sawyer squeeze AND seritabs though.

Daz

LE
Yep. Cycling / Fitness fanatic and single is the new way of saying “a lover of the theatre and never married.”
The tight-fitting lycra is a dead giveaway :)

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
If it's not likely to rain you can forgo the tent even in winter if you get one of those sleeping bags with the aluminium lining in the middle, it warms you up using your own body heat.
Yep bin the tent but hoof the gonk bag too.

Alternate between an hour of bastardos and two of lying in a notional shell scrape, and you'll soon remember how much you loved wild camping in groups.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
With wild camping your worst enemy is filling time. With me it's making fire in different ways. Making charcloth. Fishing or finding " wild food." But doing it with the bare minimum. The best I ever did was 39 hours with just a knife. Not long by your standards. But I was well pleased with myself