Anyone in to Wild Camping

Blogg

LE
Not done it for a while, but enjoy bivvying up miles from anyone.

The issue with 'wild camping' is once a good spot is publicised on social media, (the same goes for bothies, caves etc), word spreads and within 6 months the place is trashed and full of burnt out disposable BBQs, turds and broken bottles.
1. "Wild camp" with bunch of urban numpties on Heathland a gentle 10 minute bimble from a car park.

Piss off for the working week leaving your (bright blue) tent and all your empties, cartons and shit behind not 5 metres from a footpath

Return following weekend, find your tent and trappings gone.

Lodge report with Police.

Get gripped for fly tipping. Post outrage on Faceache

2. Much as above but on farmland. Tent treated to Viking Funeral.

I would look at 1 man tents before you go buying anything. Not the stupidly expensive ultralight gear (some mental bastards spend a grand apparently!) but you should be able to get one for under eighty quid.

You might end up carrying an extra half kilo compared to a bivvy but being able to sit up in the dry is worth it in my opinion.

If you want to PM me I've got my old DofE discount code you're welcome to use.
I mostly use a £10 quid pop up tent, and a decent sleeping bag

Didn't know you could spend a grand on the gear that's insane

The Loire area in France is good for that, take a canadian open canoe down the river, prop it up near the bank at night and you can sleep under the canoe, that's proper wild camping
Also the Sierra Nevada area Andalusia is exceptional for roughing it, cheap flights into Malaga and then off into the mountains, I don’t recommend this alone though and you should always report you intended routes and stop overs to the authorities!
B59E2963-D81F-4102-B933-A4F89CACA654.jpeg

It’s ok for a quick trip, eg a nice evening walk up a hill, few hours kip after some stargazing and up to see the sunrise before a nice hike home to a cooked brekkie and a hot bath. Otherwise use a bothy or proper campsite.
A lot of our UK trails are heavily used and you won’t get much peace on or near them. The South Downs Way has been mentioned. It can be walked in a couple of days. Some nutters have run it end to end within a day, and that’s before we get into lunatic mountain bikers doing it overnight.

Mrsheeny

War Hero
Couple of years ago I was fell walking in the lakes and bumped into a fella who was camping halfway up a mountain, got talking to him and he was walking from coast to coast and camping out in the open.
Something I’m looking at doing this summer or at least camping next to the Wasdale Head Inn () and climbing Sca Fell etc.

I dont think wild camping is allowed in England other than on Dartmoor , not that it would stop me doing it , leave no more than foot prints and I cant see an issue, if you go for a crap bury it , I`d be careful where I had a small fire though.
I understand wild camping in Porridgewoglandia is legal almost anywhere , guess thats how they get away with sleeping in parks , hedgerows and streets on the way home from the pub....every night.
It gets a bit dodgy in places as farmers don't seem to approve of people littering their land with detritus and turd mines. Many though are quite friendly and will let you camp out if you knock on the door and ask politely.

I did the length of the Ridgeway in 6 days, followed the old London to Bath coaching road (known as the A4 in most parts nowadays) from London to Devizes in 5 days, mooched around the New Forest and south coast for a couple of one week sessions and used to canoe the Kennet and Avon canal overnighting in tents or old WW2 bunkers.

It pays to use an olive green tent or tarp and have a bit of cam net handy for those evenings you can't find a farmer to ask permission.

Couple of years ago I was fell walking in the lakes and bumped into a fella who was camping halfway up a mountain, got talking to him and he was walking from coast to coast and camping out in the open.
Something I’m looking at doing this summer or at least camping next to the Wasdale Head Inn () and climbing Sca Fell etc.
The camp site at the Wasdale Head Inn is very small but can be booked.

The walk - climbing up Scaffell is busy and full of the three peaks lot. The up side you might get to see and have a natter with the great JossNaylor.

Quite easily. A few years ago when I got some spare cash I looked into swapping out my old knackered surplus kit with ultralight clobber. Same with any outdoor kit, at the top end the prices are astronomical for a reduction of a hundred grams here and there.

Had a quick look at Terra Nova and their current best 2 man tent is £1,800 - Voyager Ultra 2 Tent - Terra Nova Equipment.

Last edited:
We wild camped on our way North from France earlier this year

Well the Citi de Europ car park in the motor home sleeping overnight before going for the early ferry, but was free , there was no 230 volt hookup, so no satellite dish that qualifies in my book as wild camping , but I did manage to dump the shower water as we left at the service station

I mostly use a £10 quid pop up tent, and a decent sleeping bag

It does not take long to spend a grand if you buy quality kit. My latest Rab doss bag was nearly 250, hammock, bug net and tarp was around 200 - it could have been more, but I made some bits myself, decent boots, waterproof gear, cooker, rucksack and it soon adds up. Start looking at 4 season gear, especially tents and then it can get really expensive.

Quite easily. A few years ago when I got some cash spare I looked into swapping out my old knackered surplus kit with ultralight clobber. Same with any outdoor kit, at the top end the prices are astronomical for a reduction of a hundred grams here and there.

Had a quick look at Terra Nova and their current best 2 man tent is £1,800 - Voyager Ultra 2 Tent - Terra Nova Equipment.
You could get a decent second hand caravan for £1800 , seriously though £1800 for a 2 man `kin tent !, it does seem to be a case of fools and money being easily parted .